Looking for the right first Westy

Stinky

Hey

Ive been stalking these forums for a while now and finally signed up. Im after my first westy.

Ideally quick, i.e. 180bhp + Car engine rather than bike engine. 

I want one thats been through the IVA Test please.

Other than that I'm really open to look at anything.

Thanks

If it's only road use then (imo) you won't need more than 180bhp in the right car. My opinion of course!

Also worth considering is aeroscreen vs full screen and hood.

Do do you want "all weather" use or lighter weight dry run fun. 

I say this as 150bhp in a car with light wheels, seats and aeroscreen will be worth 180bhp in a full touring mode car with heavy seats, heater and carpets etc. 

And 180 bhp in a light car will be equal to over 200 in a heavier tourer.

So where does your 180+ benchmark come from - and do you fancy leisurely touring or rabid hooning?

I borrowed one before that was up near that figure and loved the acceleration etc that was a Vauxhall red top, with cams and carbs! 

it would really be a dry only car but I would take it away with me too. Last time a screen but lightweight everything else was just fine. 

Im open to everything really.

28 minutes ago, a15cro said:

Do you have a budget in mind?

Max is 10k but would rather be 6/7 if I’m honest. But you know, the right car etc I’d pay more 

Well, 6-7k is what I would say is the very low end for a sorted 180bhp car. But as you have a buffer for "the right one" you should be fine with patience.

I'd be looking for an injected 2.0 Zetec, tuned 1.8 Zetec or a Red Top with a few mods (like the one you tried) and don't discount an aeroscreen for getting out and about, I've done the Alps and the Highlands in mine and loved it.

IMG_0369.JPG

Also don't overlook the value of a decent gearbox as that makes a huge difference to the drivability of the car.

I would say id be looking at a well set up etc car over power. Having a car set up properly is worth more than an extra 20 bhp for example

• Like 1

Hi, thinking of selling mine shortly, it a  2.0 blacktop with Jenvey throttle bodies 174bhp set up by Northampton Motorsport, passed IVA 1st time in 2012, 

Happy to send you any further details.

Mark

6AFC4064-F4FF-4A54-A1A1-1295D53DE861.jpeg

34 minutes ago, MCB said:

Hi, thinking of selling mine shortly, it a  2.0 blacktop with Jenvey throttle bodies 174bhp set up by Northampton Motorsport, passed IVA 1st time in 2012, 

Happy to send you any further details.

Mark

6AFC4064-F4FF-4A54-A1A1-1295D53DE861.jpeg

Would love more info please and a price

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/09/2017 at 20:50, Stinky said:

Still looking 

This is a VERY, VERY well sorted, fast, reliable car with ALL of the right components, nice spec XE, Jenveys, DTA ECU, BGH gearbox, LSD, 13" wheels, Simpson Exhaust.

You will not get a better car for the money IMO - snap it up before John realises he's selling it too cheap!

Agreed, that car has been known in the club for a long time now and it is a cracker.

...and if you don't like the cage, I'll swap it for an MSA Roll bar :d:t-up:

• Haha 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.