Lyneham Track Day Saturday 18 Nov 2017

Mooch

I thought I'd test out the new venue MSE are using at RAF Lyneham.  Anyone else care to join?  Plenty of places left

I believe my son is angling to get me to go with him. It's okay for him with his Z4M Coupé, but November isn't the balmiest of months for Westfield use. :ghostface:

There's one a couple of weeks earlier but it clashes with the Castle Combe Autumn Classic, sadly, and I like to go to that. Apparently it was very stony - flying bits - so I hope it's been swept by now.

Mooch did the first day there and it was an interesting layout, suited to westfields.  Only downer was the large amount of loose gravel as mentioned elsewhere.  It did clear a bit as they day went on and will get better with the more events that are held there.

Not that I've ever done an airfield day, but I do remember the stories and photos from when they were hugely popular in the club a few years ago.

It seemed that anyone who wasn't driving a track nail, basically taped up, (gaffer tape, I think?) every forward facing surface on the bodywork! Arches, front and back, nose, sides of tub behind wheels etc! I also remember seeing a picture of at least one car with the windscreen removed just for the day! Not sure you need to go that far though. But certainly ten minutes taping up bodywork wouldn't be a chore.

Abingdon isn't stony, nor was Hullavington or Keevil. This is new to the usage so will need to clear probably.

Thanks all.  Hopefully a sweeper will be run over the surface at some point.  And the more we use it, the cleaner the track will get!

We were there for the opening day last month in our Noble. Great layout but won't be returning unless it has been professionally swept. Car now requires a front end respray!

I've e mailed Natasha at MSE and raised the point about the loose surface.  I got this response:

"HI Mike

Many thanks for the email and information, we look forward to seeing you both there.

We were very aware of the 'green' nature of the track and this time a sweeper will be spending the day before working on the track so it will be a lot cleaner. "

So hopefully this will do the trick.  I'll let you know!

Excellent, thanks Mike. That has saved me the job! We can't ask any more from them. I may well be there then.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there today, everyone going should cover their bodywork!  I now have a bit of a repair job to do :(

36 minutes ago, the stoat said:

I was there today, everyone going should cover their bodywork!  I now have a bit of a repair job to do :(

That's disappointing as Natasha assured Mike (Mooch) that it would be swept before next use.  

On 10/7/2017 at 19:12, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

That's disappointing as Natasha assured Mike (Mooch) that it would be swept before next use.  

That's a shame! The stones have definitely put me off going back again.

I have been to clean the grime of my car and take a closer look.  The news is not good, it is a brilliant track so worth doing but you will need to protect anything forward facing.  It is not just gravel rash but I have chunks of gelcoat missing from the rear wings.  Additionally my helmet visor will need replaced.

Well I certainly won't go until I am sure the stones are cleared. Perhaps MSE will take heed and have a good go at clearing it if the site owners allow it? 

11 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Well I certainly won't go until I am sure the stones are cleared. Perhaps MSE will take heed and have a good go at clearing it if the site owners allow it? 

I've forward this thread to MSE so they are aware.