Zetec 2.0 Blacktop Starter Motor Hot Freeze

hawksa

Had my first decent length post IVA run out today. Everything was great apart from suffering from the problem which has been described on this forum as 'Starter Motor Hot Freeze'.

Could anyone share any photos of their heat shielding solutions?

Thanks,

Simon.

• Like 1

Had exactly the same problems with my car.

Made a heat shield out of 2 sheets of aluminium with a heat resistant plumbers solder mat sandwiched in between. Since fitting the shield and replacing the starter as I think it was already damaged beyond repair I haven't had any problems.

I'll try to get a photo this evening.

• Thanks 1

I've had the hot start issue,  it might be coincidence but I  found changing the live lead from the battery to starter for a fat one fixed it.     The resistance of cables increase with temperature, but i'm not 100% convinced this was the true fix.  Maybe just cleaning the terminals would have worked.   

• Thanks 1

I tried an ali heatshield but no joy and found battery weak so replaced 16 months ago.

Since then I have the problem occasionally and seems only if above 80C temps when engine switched off.

Interesting observation by Damperman about cable resistance so might be worth a try heat insulating the battery to starter cable.

Check battery earth is good / clean too. Shiny aluminium plate / heatshield has done the job for me :t-up: