Temp garage up

Peter Robinson

• Peter Robinson changed the title to Temp garage up

That should keep the car snug. Might be worth keeping an eye on condensation if we get some temperature swings.

3 hours ago, BugMan said:

maybe add a de-humidifier or 2, haning up?

A de-humidifier, in what is essentially a big tent ,would be a total waste of time all it would do is pull moisture out the air which is full of it .You would keep emptying it tipping the water away thinking your doing a great job and paying the electric bill   however unless your in a sealed environment like a house a dehumidifier is pointless ,you may as well plug one in outside in the garden and see how much moisture you catch compared to that in your tent .It won't be long before someone tells you that you need a small heater but all that will do is create condensation as the warm air hits the side of the structure creating condensation and more moisture .

I speak as a motorhomer of many years so know a thing or 2 about moisture and damp, the key is air circulation ,in the winter when it's really cold the sun will come up and your steel chassis will be cold as the canvas/plastic structure is  warming up raising the interior temp condensation WILL form on your metal bits .

My opinion is ,knowing what I know from years of camping and motorhoming  The best all round solution would be a timber garage with a timber floor ,the reason being that wood absorbes moisture so your car is housed in natures best material ,There's a reason that Northen hemisphere buildings are made out of wood .

58 minutes ago, Weekend Warrior said:

A de-humidifier, in what is essentially a big tent ,would be a total waste of time all it would do is pull moisture out the air which is full of it .You would keep emptying it tipping the water away thinking your doing a great job and paying the electric bill   however unless your in a sealed environment like a house a dehumidifier is pointless ,you may as well plug one in outside in the garden and see how much moisture you catch compared to that in your tent .It won't be long before someone tells you that you need a small heater but all that will do is create condensation as the warm air hits the side of the structure creating condensation and more moisture .

I speak as a motorhomer of many years so know a thing or 2 about moisture and damp, the key is air circulation ,in the winter when it's really cold the sun will come up and your steel chassis will be cold as the canvas/plastic structure is  warming up raising the interior temp condensation WILL form on your metal bits .

My opinion is ,knowing what I know from years of camping and motorhoming  The best all round solution would be a timber garage with a timber floor ,the reason being that wood absorbes moisture so your car is housed in natures best material ,There's a reason that Northen hemisphere buildings are made out of wood .

As it happens I've just put a concrete base down to put a 10x18 timber garage on ,which comes with 8 ft double doors ,a side door and unlimited windows the tounge and groove is 19mm thick and the frame is 3x2  delivered and erected for £1630 .I will put my own floor down and insulate and skin the inside myself but these options were available .

Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up somebody so much, with my suggestion, given this chap has only got a tent-like setup at them moment ;-(

32 minutes ago, BugMan said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up somebody so much, with my suggestion, given this chap has only got a tent-like setup at them moment ;-(

No need to apologise I wasn't stirred up or being funny ,just pointing out that a dehumidifier in this case was a wast of time 

I probably rambled a bit but the end point was that a timber garage is as good as it will ever get for your car as wood absorbes moisture.

If you want  opinions on engines  ask a mechanic ,if your after advice on moisture under cover ask a camper or motorhomer  .As said I was only giving advice on something I have experience in ,after all that's the whole point or so I thought