New starter - which car is for me?

Spark240

Hi folks,  I have been looking the Westfield as a possible weekend / track car for a while now, and am becoming obsessed with "watching" on auction sites!

Im an electrician by trade, fairly handy and dont mind having a go, but.....I dont want to be taking the thing apart every weekend, so...I see all the different types / models / engines etc, and Im wondering is there such thing as a general guide as to the age / engine / body etc that would suit my requirements?

I accept my budget ( circa 5k-8k) will influence my choices, but rather than go in blind I thought this would be a good place to start.

Thanks, 

( Anything to do with electrics / guitars / recording studios / let me know ) ! 

:ww: Where in the country are you? Get along to the local meet and have a look at members cars is the best idea, they will be sure to give lots of advice.

From now onwards a good time to buy mate. That budget will get you a Good'un if you take your time. Going along to a meet and seeing them in the flesh, talking to the owners and maybe getting a passenger ride or two will pay dividends also.

good luck,

Mart.

Its always best to start with budget. Then add 20% and thats the figure to buy a car :d. Plenty of cars around for that money , but always go in head first and not heart first. Definately go to your local meets or if local, someone will take you for a blat and see what ticks for you or not , such as aero screen/ windscreen. 

Oh and welcome to the madhouse :ww:

Either will be fun on track but the widebody has much more room than the narrow but it's a personal choice and you will only find out by sitting in a few. 

:ww: From  Shropshire, I get to the black country meet (weather permitting) it's the first Sunday of the month.

Hopefully see you there.

Andy 

welcome!

As no-one has been brave enough to suggest you specification for that budged (I wish I had known all that beforehand) you can have a really ultimate machine. BUT you will have to search a lot and dont let yourself go for the first one half nice you see.

you are thinking about a weekend car and track toy rather than a tourer as I can see.

Your ideal specificartion should be something like:

Engine:

I would go for a zetec. Isn´t the ultimate tecnology, but they are cheap as peanuts, and light. Well known and everything is invented.

Ideally should be a 1.8//2.0 on ITB and some sort of tuning on the cams. powers circa 165/185 hp will give you a really reliable power and loads of fun.

Other engines can suit well your needs, but they may be more expensive to mantain, less reliable or difficult to find parts:

C20XE-- (like myself)-- Is a great engine for very heavy tunings, but made from very old castings. Unless you are aiming for powers over 220hp, I don´t see the point in having a chunky and money rising old Vauxall block in there. People is starting to ask a lot of money just for any XE **** found in a backyard.

Rover engines-- I love their character. They rev high and free, they are light but they tend to be less powerfull and to have all sorts of random problems IE bent blocks, engine leaks, weak castings... Some people love them. I hate them because they are really unreliable. However, if you find the right unit with the correct mods on it (landrover head gasket, skimings well done, steel oil rail, remote thermostat...) they tend to be OK.

Duratecs-Ecobost// they may be a bit out of your budget.

Toyota 4Ag- Despite is not a very common engine, I´ve seen a few of them on westfields and is an engine that I love. Strong, robust, light, with a very sporty charachter. The down side is they are a kind of cult engine, and it means expensive (very expensive) parts.

For the gearbox, there is not many options I´m affraid, and you will end with some sort of ford derivate gearbox. rocket, type 75, type9... no prefference there as long as they are correctly geared for the car. old boxes, well known and reliables. Try to avoid fancy boxes like dog syncros, secuentials or straight cut gears if you aim to do ANY road miles. Are way too unconfortable.

Body:

Aim for a wide, unless you are really skinny. However, as soon as you sit on it, you will see how confortable you feel.

Suspension:

Is a taste question.  Having driven both, I would go to a live axle rather than independent. They are MUCH lighter than the independent, fancy LSD are cheaper and are simpler to mantain. Independent one, will give you an extra on handling, yes, but unless you are ready to risk your life on the road, and push well beyond your limits on the track, you will hardly feel the difference.

Car style.

You may have the feel that you need something similar to a car. Windscreen, doors, roof, some sort of trimming... DONT DO IT.

You will end striping the car, using GRP seats, aeroscreen, and if your intention is track in a regular way... look for a cage.

Hope you find a right unit and my words can help you to decide what you want.

Welcome from Bristol 

:yes:

All good advice from the man up top. 

Be prepared to travel to find the right one. The good ones never seem to be round the corner :rolleyes:

Don't know the car personally but there is an orange toyota one in the for sale in the sale ads seems a lot of car for the cash

good luck with the search,

They are great fun 

Hi and :ww: @Spark240

We are not far away in Tamworth and also go to the Black Country areas meetings at the Dudley Arms, Himley, 1st Sunday of the Month from 7.30pm.

We have a track day at Curborough  near Lichfield on Friday 22nd September if you are free! It will be a good chance to see 15 cars and maybe get passenger rides, you would be more than welcome.

Martyn