Car Hire in Majorca

Hemsley

Does anyone have experience or tips for car hire in Majorca? There are various options with customer reviews, but nothing seems to stand out.

I'm heading over for a few days to visit my son and help celebrate this Birthday.... currently appearing as Fankie Valli https://www.facebook.com/Thenewjerseyboysmallorca/

Looking to pick up a car at Palma airport, and will be staying in Alcudia. It would be lovely to have something with a enough oomph to enjoy the hills in the north of the island.

Thanks for any suggestions!

59bcfdec99af3_WillinNewJerseyBoys2017.thumb.jpeg.22196a00ea77a42d8f16af6e705ce329.jpeg

If I remember later on, I'll dig out details of who I hired with recently, no problems with them and reasonable cost.

Used Economy Car Hire many times no problem - they're recently changed their name to Zest.  Decent policy on excess.  Here

You could also do a search on Kayak for the best deals

I once met Frankie Valli :)

Stay away from Goldcar. Our hire needed 3 litres of oil to get to the minimum marker. We could have easily blown up at midnight, when we hired it and had to travel across the island. They did re-imburse me, but couldnt give 2 hoots about it.Car was filthy, seats were grim, wheeltrims smashed or missing. Pay a bit more and get the usual big names.. Always get damage cover for everything. Spanish drivers are worse than our worst. 

If you want something different and don't mind the wind in your hair experience try a buggy, we hired in Cyprus great fun.

For impartial reviews try tripadvisor.

Watch out for the refuelling policy. Many are full to empty and you're charged for a full tank at their rate regardless of how much used. It's usually better to have full to full and you pay for fuel at your choice of station etc

thanks for all the suggestions. I will let you know what I end up booking.

Did find an interesting classic car rental firm who have a Caterham on their books. Expensive stuff so not sure we're going to afford that.

Goldcar are off airport, if your flight is late night the shuttle might not run

we used Sixt as they have good cars but they don't half try to sell you stuff and don't like Brits with their yearly insurance excess policies (hint - only 30quid good if you hire more than once a year)

Book your car before you go, always the best prices.   Most countries I've been to, Enterprise have been the best.

Book before you go, and look at one of the reputable comparison sites like Opodo.  Out of season they will be cheap, but anything bigger than a Fiesta will be expensive.  Beware of the "optional" insurance, which can double the cost, as the excess may be £500 - £1,000.  This can be bought much cheaper online.

Used vanrell this year,  booked via a reputable hotel. Local hire but had an enterprise feel about them. I'd go with them again. 

On 9/16/2017 at 19:19, Thrustyjust said:

Stay away from Goldcar. Our hire needed 3 litres of oil to get to the minimum marker. We could have easily blown up at midnight, when we hired it and had to travel across the island. They did re-imburse me, but couldnt give 2 hoots about it.Car was filthy, seats were grim, wheeltrims smashed or missing. Pay a bit more and get the usual big names.. Always get damage cover for everything. Spanish drivers are worse than our worst. 

Not sure about that... in mallorca, most of the problems will be with british drivers not used to drive overseas, or drunk germans. Mallorcan drivers stay quite away to any touristic area. Unlikely you are going to crash with a native during summer months...

9 hours ago, bigron said:

Used vanrell this year,  booked via a reputable hotel. Local hire but had an enterprise feel about them. I'd go with them again. 

A propper old school company from the island, still owned by the same family. They tend to work now as a last resource for the hotels, and quite expensive... but they work really good.

4 minutes ago, maurici said:

Unlikely you are going to crash with a native during summer months...

Unless you are back home and there are a lot of cyclists on the roads, eh Maurici? :d

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

Unless you are back home and there are a lot of cyclists on the roads, eh Maurici? :d

I don't know what you are talking about.

• Haha 1