How heavy / light should my stearing be

Badger56

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Seight, my stearing is quite heavy at slower speads and I'm wondering if this is correct, I've seen videos of guys wipping the car about one handed and you'd need to be Geof Capes to do that in mine. Not sure about the rack but I'd assume its standard, I do have the wide front end. Your thoughts and advice would be very welcome.

Cheers

There are lots of variables - tyre type, tyre pressure, caster, camber, rack ratio, steering wheel size, condition of column bushes / UJs, etc. - but I'd hazard a guess at the big ol' engine up front is a part of what you're feeling!

• Haha 1

How close do the steering column UJs go to the exhaust manifold? Heat could be making them stiff. Also worth checking that the front wishbones are on the correct way round to give the correct castor angle. You may laugh but I have seen this done

Steering on my SEiGHT is very heavy at parking speeds but at anything above walking pace its absolutely fine and I'm nothing like Geoff Capes

12 minutes ago, Steven (Steve T) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Mine's very heavy a slow speeds but is fine when you get moving.

Thats just the ******g big front spoiler that causes that :d

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Badger56 said:

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Seight, my stearing is quite heavy at slower speads and I'm wondering if this is correct, I've seen videos of guys wipping the car about one handed and you'd need to be Geof Capes to do that in mine. Not sure about the rack but I'd assume its standard, I do have the wide front end. Your thoughts and advice would be very welcome.

Cheers

If you can advise your front tyres width and also steering rack turns lock to lock we will have an idea of what you're up against.

These days I'm more Frank Skinner than Geoff Capes and at 10mph I can whip the wheel round one handed provided I get my right thumb thru the steering wheel below the left hand spoke for a right turn IYSWIM.  I have 195 tyres and 2.4 rack.

Just now, DonPeffers said:

If you can advise your front tyres width and also steering rack turns lock to lock we will have an idea of what you're up against.

These days I'm more Frank Skinner than Geoff Capes and at 10mph I can whip the wheel round one handed provided I get my right thumb thru the steering wheel below the left hand spoke for a right turn IYSWIM.  I have 195 tyres and 2.4 rack.

Ok & thanks, car not at home at the moment as I'm moving but will have a look over the weekend, the tyres are 17 inch low profile which could be part of the issue, it's not a "problem" as such but thought I'd ask, I'm going to splash out on a ProComp set up etc soon so maybe that will help.

Cheers for all the replies as always.

One thing that can make a rack stiffer is lack of lubrication on the steering column lower splines and black Graphite grease is recommended.

mine is VERY hevy even with the front end in the air...

And all has been revised and lubricated properly very recently. Once driving is Ok. in my case, even with the steering arms disconnected, wheel was fairly difficult to move around, so Top and bottom ball joints are the gilty in my car. Check that... but not much you can do in that case. My ball joints are brand new...

If steering still stiff with arms disconnected may be worth also  looking for damage to the rack i.e. May be bent just a thought  as race autocross with quick racks and any impact to wheels can cause damage to the rack that's why the guys run light weight steering arms so they bend before damaging the steering rack