Tyre pressure

Wolfdog

I run R1Rs 205 50 15 at 18 all round.

clearly that's measured at ambient temp, I've often wondered what temps they reach say on a hot summer day at full chat.

I used to run them at 18psi for performance, and nearer 20psi on the road for better wear.

I hat 20t/50/15  r888r's fitted on Saturday and was asked what pressure but didn't have a clue,the fitter guessed at 30 psi ! 

I take it I need to let some out and get them to 18 .

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Weekend Warrior said:

I hat 20t/50/15  r888r's fitted on Saturday and was asked what pressure but didn't have a clue,the fitter guessed at 30 psi ! 

Yes, it probably wouldn't have mattered even if you'd known the 18psi in advance- I've never had a tyre fitter believe me anyway!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Yes, it probably wouldn't have mattered even if you'd known the 18psi in advance- I've never had a tyre fitter believe me anyway!

Yep, doesn't matter how many times you tell them, unless they're really used to dealing withour cars, they'll just look at you, smile, nod, fill them to 36 psi and presumably go and tell all their colleagues how the last guy wanted to drive out on tyres with no air in.

Get the pressures down as soon as practically possibly, the tyres can be a wee bit slippy with mould release agent on them anyway, with 30 plus psi, you feel like you're driving a drift car!

• Haha 1

Yep, had my r888r's fitted the night before driving to Stoneliegh, and got to Swindon before I could let some air out, as they were at 30 psi and the car felt horrid....back to. 18 psi and it's a pleasure again.

Mart.

2 hours ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Never ever ever ever ever trust a tyre fitters pressure gauge !! (IMHO of course). Potentially even worse is when you have a (compulsory for warranty) "service" on the daily driver. My daily driver went in with correct pressures 31psi front, 29psi rear, came back 40 psi all round.  

Any of these would be better: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/85474/best-tyre-pressure-and-tread-depth-gauges-2017

• Thanks 1

To be fair, the tyre fitters need to blow them up to get the beads to sit properly on the rim edges if we are talking of fitting new tyres. Always let the air out afterwards. 30 psi on a Westy will have it bouncing all over the place!

• Like 1

I had the same issue with my Seight, had 30psi all round when I picked it up from the previous owner, this was the best advice I found:-

"The correct tyre pressures depends on the weight of your car (including passengers and luggage so this will vary), and the size and make of tyres. You will need the following information to calculate correct PSI for any given combination:

(Gross) weight of vehicle
load rating of 
tyres at max PSI (the sidewall will have this information - something like 600kg at 44 PSI etc)

For example, the weight of my legacy with some passengers and baggage I've worked out at 1700kg
My Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2s are rated for 545KG at 44 PSI so:

545kg x 4 = 2180kg (max load)
2180 (combined max load) ÷ 1700 (vehicle weight) = 1.28
44 (max tyre PSI) ÷ 1.28 = 34.31

So you should inflate your 
tyres to 34 PSI / 2.4 bar in that example."

I run 18 psi all round, Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1