New boy

toys4x4boys

Hi all,

Got my Westfield yesterday, got it insured and taxed today and had my first proper drive.

Didn't go far, as I wanted to see what issues it showed, xflow and twin 40's mean re learning how to start a car old school style.

Mrs even enjoyed our drive out, that shocked me to be honest !

Loud, smells like a proper car, and lots if little niggles to sort.

1st was a big oil leak, think I've traced it to a full catch can, will find out tomorrow if it's dry enough for another run.

Need some doors and a half roof at least, as we'd like to use it all year !

Expect questions !

GraemeScreenshot_20170902-233641.thumb.png.91a2786a22a65a777f93bedd99ed096e.png

• Like 2

Welcome:ww:

:ww:from Essex.

You have the proper engine in the Mighty Crossflow!

Plenty of threads on catch tanks and associated plumbing, if you search. What set-up do you have at the moment?

Thanks all,

I'll do some decent pics if I don't manage to solve it, in the pic below that black circular item between the carbs is part of the catch system with a long can below it down the block.

Drained about half a litre out if it, so probably need to figure out how to check the oil level in the motor now !

Cheers

Screenshot_20170902-233658.png

3 hours ago, toys4x4boys said:

Thanks all,

I'll do some decent pics if I don't manage to solve it, in the pic below that black circular item between the carbs is part of the catch system with a long can below it down the block.

Drained about half a litre out if it, so probably need to figure out how to check the oil level in the motor now !

Cheers

Screenshot_20170902-233658.png

You really want to get the catch tank as high as possible.

I have a take off from the rocker cover, as well as the crank case breather in the block below the rearward carb, both going to a tank mounted on the scuttle.

Because I was happy that the oil in the catch tank was clean, I eventually plumbed a drain hose back to the sump, which returns via a modified fuel pump blanking plate.

I now only have the "usual" anti-rust crossflow oil deposits :d

• Like 1

Welcome, I'm a noob as well, only had mine three weeks. Mines a bit of a  wreck and needs lots doing, done the oil catch tank, rad leak,  added a dip stick so just waiting for the weather to change so I can get out there!!

20170909_150450.thumb.jpg.cb561e00c1681a0d30904ea713c1c47d.jpg

• Like 2

I quite enjoy the tinkering, so bought at the bottom end of the market with eyes wide open.

;)

Peter that looks an interesting oil catch tank. Do both the hoses go to the engine block ? If so, how does the tank breath ? I drilled and fitted a filter to the top on my tank, which is the same type .

59b59c7007aaf_100Breathertank.thumb.jpg.4422721962c2405a38c30c6abbab093b.jpg