Help with racing gear and helmet

karlpayne

Hi Westfield fanatics,

Ive had my westie just over a year now and after getting it on the road this spring I'm thinking about a few track days at some point.

I wanted some advice on what racing gear and helmet to buy. Something not too expensive but still decent enough that it will comply with the speed series regulations (if I ever get there!).

Ive looked on demon tweeks and they have a lot of options. Something like the OMP first race suits, are these worth getting? 

Any help is much appreciated.

Race suit is a bit ott for track days. Just need suitable clothes for the day. Most just need arms and legs covered so dress for the temperature. 

Helmet is going to be worn for a while on the day and is a case of how much you want to spend. Just make sure it's comfortable. I went with a bike helmet that I could try on in a shop. Was not too expensive. 

Id spend my money on Instruction when you first go.  It's great for lines and will help with confidence in the car when the speeds are up.

Good luck

Word of warning, Once you pop you can't stop. 

5 hours ago, SXRORY said:

Race suit is a bit ott for track days

Agreed, but he is also looking to compete at some point :t-up:

As said with a helmet - fit is paramount so make sure you try one on as the sizes vary quite a bit. 

I'd say the same for both suit and helmet; different manufacturers interpretations of the same size can vary quite a bit, while this can be annoying with a race suit, it can be downright painful with a helmet!

So you're always best trying them on for fit. Obviously, this can be a bit of a nuisance but it is expensive safety gear, so worth getting right!

Some shops, like Demon Tweeks for instance, are set up to allow you to do all the trial fitting you need. Alternatively, if you can hang on that long, the Autosports show at the NEC in January, usually has lots of choice from several big suppliers there, so you can go to town finding what suits you best, and often get a show discount!

Be very careful if you plan to compete, while motor bike helmets etc can be fine for road use and trackdays*, many are not permitted for competition use in cars.

*TBH, even then, as good as they are, they're not really designed for the sort of accidents you'd have in a car with a roll cage, so if fully caged, I'd want a proper car type helmet.

im with dave make sure you can try on your race suit just ask me how i know lol. one that looks like it will fit on the size guides may not fit in reality. the autosport show didnt feature that many suppliers last year demon tweeks and gp racewear are the only two i can think of that you could buy helmets or race suits from. but gp racewear did have a vat free offer on all purchases

Thanks for all they help guys. Much appreciated. 

I definately need to try stuff on. But you're right it's difficult because everything is online!

If you can get along to a race event, most people if you talk to them and explain that you are looking to get into racing, will allow you to try clothing etc on to see what fits. I know I have certainly done that for guys that are local to me from trying on my suits to helmets to gloves to hans devices. I would always insist on them wearing a balaclava if trying my helmet. It has actually save a couple of them from buying things that would not have been a good fit.

There are enough people on here that attend enough events I'm sure you could try pretty much any manufacturer/size option around. Just try and find someone similar shape etc. 

Lee

One thing to be aware of regarding a helmet. Currently in Road going class for Hillclimb and Sprint event FHR or ( HANS - Head and Neck restraint) system isn't needed, however, it is likey that this will be mandatory for all classes very soon, maybe even for 2018. So when your getting a helmet make sure it has the HANS posts and you will need a HANS device as  well.

Just for clarity that means for Road Going you need to be on list 1a or 1B tyres

If you are on list 1C or slicks then you need a Hans Device