Action/dash cams

Olliebeak

I am looking to buy an action/dash cam for my Westie to fix to the roll bar etc, this will be used to record blatts/days out and then downloaded I presume via sd card to my laptop and perhaps share on here.

I am not a techie type person so dont want anything fancy just something easy to operate with good picture quality and soundwith 

Would I have to buy both an action cam and a dash cam for general use?

Any tips,recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks 

not sure how long a dashcam will record before it loops around and deletes older footage on the card.

A dedicated GoPro will record 25-30GB easily onto its card giving a good 3-4 hours of blatting time. Quality of cameras is getting better all the time and you don't have to spend lots (on a gopro for eg) to get decent quality video.

27 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

not sure how long a dashcam will record before it loops around and deletes older footage on the card.

A dedicated GoPro will record 25-30GB easily onto its card giving a good 3-4 hours of blatting time. Quality of cameras is getting better all the time and you don't have to spend lots (on a gopro for eg) to get decent quality video.

But what I would say, because ive been caught out by this - if you record 2 -3 hours without a break (I was driving round Tokyo in a kart dressed like Super Mario) you need a lot of storage space on the laptop to edit it, then it takes an age to upload.

Thanks for that, I presume action cams record sound as well , I would want to pick up the roar from the mighty crossflow as it trashes yet another Audi!!   Is it easy to edit on the laptop , how about adding music like the Ride of the Valkeries , Buttercup is very good at this sort of stuff ..

I presume you need a 1080 res and 170 view?  anything else ?  

thanks for the info

even with top end camera you'll need an external microphone to pick up engine noise property. the wind noise on the move blocks everything else out.

some cheaper cams don't have an external Mike port.

as far as video editing, I've used nothing more than Windows Movie maker and had some good results.

you can easily add music over or alongside your video sounds etc.

if you look on youtube and search Mega S2000 Evo you should see one of my early attempts.

Just don't buy into the 5 star reviews on the £25 Chinese go pro copies.....they are poor. May have got burnt..... cough! Lol ???

My suggestion, Get on gumtree eBay etc and get a go pro 3 or later second hand. I borrowed one and it was perfect for the task bar an external mic. 

I thought I was after a go pro and did a lot of research ,in fact it was only when I was in pc world about to buy one that I changed my mind .

i had been in the shop for nearly an hour and a half and had bought an iPad Pro 12 inch,and built up a bit of rapport with the salesman ,when we went to look at the go pro range I asked him for his opinion .At that point he introduced me to the camera sales person [as he was an apple salesman ] who told me that they get comission for every go pro camera they sell,and announced although they get staff discount on the go pro range he had a Muvi K2 Pro .Which at the time they were also promoting ,along with a Which fact sheet that rated it as well if not better than the go pro .It records in 4K and does everything the go pro does but is considerably cheaper .The go pro accessory range is also although identical to its competitor a lot more expensive .

I was basically asked that if I went to buy a music system would I insist on having a premium brand like bang and olfsun ,or pay less for a lesser known brand with equall quality .

As. For editing I can't comment however my 10 and 12 year old have put videos of them in the pool and trampoline to music and sent it to there friends .As for memory I bought the  highest capacity memory card you could get.

As an aside I was also advised to be careful using it on the car ,all good for track days ,however if thrashing it on the road and it all goes wrong the footage could be used against you .

Steve.

I have a Qumox 'Faux-Pro' and it's excellent except for the absence of a mic jack. It is possible to fit one though - see Youtube.

Hullavington

I don't use 1080p because of the file size and difficulty editing on an older computer. Since that was shot I have a newer machine but haven't doen any filming. The quality is easily as good as my son's Hero 2 GoPro though, at a fraction of the price.

I have just bought a Tomtom Bandit - £145 from Amazon and very impressed with it. Does benefit from an external Mic though (As most action cams do)

File sizes can be reduced before or after editing quite easily with free software. I use handbrake and the converter that comes with the DIVX player. 

Buy the best, this Go Pro has no bells and whistles like the Hero range but is the cheapest Go Pro http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4184063?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200291090|agid:12525696170|tid:pla-197888503730|crid:66128554730|nw:g|rnd:13015056235967318102|dvc:c|adp:1o1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI06W62fqX1gIVBpPtCh3nOw23EAQYASABEgKSv_D_BwE but has the film quality.   A second hand Hero 2 or 3 may be about the same price and also the same quality. Don't bother about a 4k. facility,  it eats up data storage space and takes a lot longer to download/upload.