Queensferry Crossing - First Westie?

Matta

First official day for traffic to use the new bridge over the river Forth. Very busy this evening but was ours the first Westie to cross......?

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

• Like 4

Just now, ziplob said:

guess who done  it this morning in a yellow one ?????????

Piccies or it didn't happen. :p 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Couldn't have put it better myself Scott!

It's an amazing structure and looked fantastic in the early evening light tonight AND my better half actually came with me and took the photos!

19 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Dunno, there were lots of piccies of Apollo 11 on the moon and folk still say that didn't happen...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John K said:

Dunno, there were lots of piccies of Apollo 11 on the moon and folk still say that didn't happen...

6/10 for trolling effort.

Just missed out on the new bridge, .. but I'll perhaps lodge a claim for the last Westy to cross on the old bridge.. on Monday night... on a trailer? :laugh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dombanks said:

Nice i missed it by a day too :(

150 years left if the engineers are correct.

4 minutes ago, DonPeffers said:

When I lived up in Linlithgow, we used to go to the bridges all the time, the view from the hotel car park on the south side was ace.

From what I've read about #3 it's been built for maintenance and the stuff that might corrode is not buried inside concrete...

Also interested to read about the winds its been designed to tolerate, the statement "if you can drive to the bridge, you can drive over it" is quite a boast considering the winds you can get up there...

I'm now actually looking forward to visiting the out-laws so I can take a peek at #3

The new one doesn't have any expansion joins on the deck, so driving over it in the Westie is a much more pleasant experience too. Going over the joints in the old bridge used to loosen my fillings!

5 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

They said that about the last one......

• 4 weeks later...

The new road bridge (because of shielding) can apparently stay open in high winds whereas the old one sometimes had a 40 mph limit and high-sided vehicles banned.

With 50 to 70 mph winds forecast from late Sunday thru most of Monday it will be interesting to see how it fares.