Ear protection against wind

Vogalogue

Firstly, I have searched, there is a lot! -  but I feel reassured that I'm not "being a wimp" in looking for ear protection!

My Westfield has the full screen, but there is still a lot of buffeting as I'm sure you all know!
It's fine for pootling around, but anything approaching 60 for any period of time, my right ear seems to be suffering, - not from the actual noise but from the wind / air pressure (I assume).
Most of the threads I have read seem to be approaching the angle from a noise level, or helmet wind noise as opposed to the actual wind being the problem.

I know the obvious answer is over ear cans, but I don't really fancy wearing those just for a  spirited blast, I opted for a beanie but that didn't seem to help (and promptly blew off).

How do people cope, without looking like factory worker?

Has anyone tried anything like these? (possibly a bit pricey... but I like the keyring storage and reusability) -  or do the el cheapo yellow disposable buds work just as well?

On a side note, the girlfriend has suggested (weather permitting) that we go on a Westfield Road trip... (good sign, she is showing enthusiasm!). It's a 4H round trip to Dorset and back. She's never been on it above about 40, and I don't think she fully grasps the wind factor... Any tips on minimalizing her despising the experience, being cold, miserable, deaf and hating the Westfield for ever?

Custom moulded earplugs.

I got a set of moulds taken at Autosport international last year, and the plugs arrived about 3 weeks later. Brilliant bits of kit.

Cost was £60 I think

• Like 1

As above - well worth the money. What price can you put on hearing?

• Like 1

I'm sure others will disagree but I also think that the perspex wind deflectors help a bit with the wind noise/turbulence. 

• Like 1

Just fit wind deflectors, you won't need to wear anything then.

• Like 1

Personally I don't like ear buds, I'm supposed to wear them at work, but don't like things in my ears. I try to wear a hat with sunglasses over to help hold it down. 

• Like 1

Half doors and wind deflectors, I only get slight buffeting on the back of the neck over 60-70mph. 

• Like 1

If you looking for comfort then can recommend in differant stages.

Half doors, half doors and wind deflectors, full doors, hood and any doors/wind deflectors.

Depends on what you going to do on the day.

• Like 1

I got my earplugs from Specsavers. Custom moulded and do the job really well. The only irritation was they would not do an extra pair. Their reasoning was all to c0ck!!!

Ear plugs are ok but you need to put them in properly....take your time to fit them. Roll them up small and put them in, giving enough time for them to expand properly in your ear...

wind deflectors make a big difference and are well worth investing in.

personally, I dislike half doors as they hamper driving and take away half the experience....but they do cut out wind and noise hugely. I am biased as I have a narrow and they really make it claustrophobic IMHO.

one more thing with your better half......it is hugely more noisy on the exhaust side, so be careful not to put her off, at this early stage!

Mart. 

• Like 1

I have a pair of Emtec Noisebreakers for work. Really comfortable and extremely effective. I believe they are Devon based.

I have an aero screen and had exactly the same problem, with right ear becoming painful after half an hour in the car. 

Bought the foam cheapy green ones 50 pairs for a 8 quid on eBay..... ones with good reviews job done. 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152104362904

• Like 1

+1 for perspex wind deflectors with the screen. massive, massive difference. You can breathe above 60mph for a start.

• Like 1

I've got some earplugs that I use when I'm using the shotgun, they do the trick when I don't want the doors on. I'm the same as you I get cold air in the ear and it is irritating. 

The only problem with the shotgun ones is you don't hear the popping and banging on over-run. :d

• Like 1