New member intro

jimbobtcc206

Hi all, my name is James and I've been browsing the forum for a few months now and I finally joined up yesterday. I'm on the look out for my first westie but I'm in no rush as I am still saving up and am undecided on exactly what I want and how to go about it i.e. Build or buy. The only certain thing is my focus will be track days more than road but it will need to be road legal. I'm torn between BEC/CEC as I think the BEC will float my boat but the reliability side and track noise limits both scare me. I used to have a ton top Peugeot that I did track events with. I want to get the same buzz from a westie that I got from that. To that end I love ITB's, high revs, S/C noisy clunky boxes. I also like the look of a full roll cage on a westie.

Im based in Barnsley so intend to get along to some meets in the near future to get myself into the spirit of things and meet a few new people.

I would have loved to get over to Oulton to see a few cars but we currently have a 13 day old baby girl who takes first place. 

Thanks for taking the time to read my intro.

James

Welcome Jim!

Sounds like you've got a good plan already. :yes:

Its hard to over stress the benefits of seeing as many Westfields as you can; it's amazing how just checking them out, while tyre kicking with the owners really builds up your feel for what to look for, and what nicely built cars look like.

- Something that can be hard to tell otherwise, when you see such widely different specs between cars. It's very easy sometimes to get swept up by the (low) age of a car, or a high spec, and overlook the older, or lower spec car, that might be better screwed together.

Shame about Oulton, but as you say, needs must with family. Don't forget though, we don't regionally divide membership up in any way, so as well as getting along to the (very fine) Yorkshire meets, you've also got the Peak District and Manchester not too far away.

Dont be put off by going on Area runs either; it doesn't matter that you're still at the hunting stage, it's a pretty rare run out that won't have at least one passenger seat free, and often, you can hop from car to car at the stops and get a ride in a number. Not quite the same as on track, but will give you an idea of road manners etc. (Just let the organiser know ahead of time that pax rides are needed, and all is good!)

Good luck with the search, we get some fine track Westfields coming up on here.

Thanks Dave some great advice gratefully received. Where do I find out dates/locations of area meets?

Congratulations on the new arrival, that must be better than any car :d

Welcome @jimbobtcc206.  I have had nothing but good advice on here from members in the run up to buying my first car.  In terms of Yorkshire meets, i'm sure Robin will introduce himself in due course,  he does a great job in keeping people up to date on whats going on in Yorkshire via the forum.

Albeit a non-track car (at least from my usage), i have a caged CEC FW Sport which i believe to be well screwed together (although i didn't build it!!!).  Your welcome to have a nose around it if you that helps at some point!.

Bob

:ww: from Essex and congratulations on the first of your new arrivals!

Hello James,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby and welcome to the club. If you get chance, Blyton nr Gainsbrough is a good track to pop along to and Ian (goes as Gadget on here) is often marshalling there, he has a caged Westfield for sale. @Gadget I think is the right person.

Look under Events' or the 'calendar' for meeting details. 10th September is a good day to go to Blyton as the Complete Kit Car Magazine are holding a track day then.

You will always be made very welcome in the Peak District of course,

Julie

:ww: James from Scarborough.

Dont forget to post pictures as we love pictures....babies included. :t-up:

On 23/08/2017 at 12:33, Beaker_Bob said:

Welcome @jimbobtcc206.  I have had nothing but good advice on here from members in the run up to buying my first car.  In terms of Yorkshire meets, i'm sure Robin will introduce himself in due course,  he does a great job in keeping people up to date on whats going on in Yorkshire via the forum.

Albeit a non-track car (at least from my usage), i have a caged CEC FW Sport which i believe to be well screwed together (although i didn't build it!!!).  Your welcome to have a nose around it if you that helps at some point!.

Bob

Again Welcome to the club, come along to our monthly breakfast mtg at the Red Kite, on the road into Wakefield just off the M1 organised by Robim

I joined the club a few months ago, and am awaiting my kit delivery within the next few weeks, but have to say this forum, and the Yorkshire group have been invaluable in helping me on my journey.  Look forward to seeing you perhaps at the next mtg over  bacon roll and a coffee?

Hello James, sorry I've not been on sooner but welcome to the club. 

As mentioned in previous posts, you're more than welcome to any of our meetings just to have a look or go for a blast, you'll see a variety of cars and probably one you'd like. We have 2 monthly meetings, the next one is at the Fox and Grapes on York Road on the 5th of September, then the breakfast meeting at the Red Kite on 17th.

Hope to see you soon, Robin. 

From around 7:30.

Fox and Grapes, A64, York Road.