Big brakes

Robo

You need to be more specific about the spec of your car and what is wrong with the brakes. Not enough initial grip, fade etc

What are you using the car for etc etc etc

Unless you want big brakes just for posing, which is fine by the way, I'd be very surprised if you actually need them....

Took me ages to get a setup I was happy with, ended up with boggo M16 on the front, Sierra on the back, an AP cylinder and a bias valve. With DS2500s they're great....

• Like 1

I'm running a zetec supercharger, I plan to get more bhp and torque out of it (currently 280) 

when braking it slows but doesn't slow down with confidence, I feel like my foots going to go through the floor where I'm braking so hard and not stopping quick enough, no fade , just no real stopping power, no idea what pads are on there but will check those, would new better pads help ? 

I'm no expert, but I'd definitely start with new pads and fluid...

A lot in here like Mintex 1144 but I'm a DS2500 fan. 

Yep, it's all about the pads.

Carbone Lorraine, decent Ferodo, Pagids will all be much better than standard stuff. Bear in mind with no servo you do beed more force from the foot than 'normal', though.

I am running 335bhp on mintex 1144's up front and have no trouble stopping, just a hard press. Or I am not trying hard enough!

For the AP four pot calipers I used Mintex 1144

part number - MDB2027

Sierra? Only the Sierra SDV has Sierra front brake callipers.

But I'm confused to what you've actually got, you say you have AB brakes a number of times? If so, the Westfield supplied AP Racing front calliper set up takes AP brake pads! That is, the pad shape is unique to the calliper itself.

The AP set up, recognisable by the Yellow AP logos, along with Westfield on the sides of the callipers and the bigger vented discs, normally comes from Westfield with Ferodo DS2500 pads.

However, this is a brake set up with huge amounts of bite and stopping power. So if you're having the problems you mention, there is something wrong with what you already have.

On the other hand, if you still have standard Ford front callipers, then they are Ford M16's, as fitted to mk 3/4/5 Cortina's, (and a variety of other rear drive Fords, but Cortina's are the easy ones to get pads for).

Depending on the age of the car, it may have Sierra or VW Golf rear callipers, or aftermarket ones.

If you're not sure how to identify them, photos would help.

They look like Westfield Alloy uprights to me and the calipers look like Cortina two pot. They are made by AP but are not performance ones. If you took a pad out and took a photo of that it would be easy to tell you.

You also said your foot is on the floor when braking, there is something wrong somewhere if that is happening as without a servo it is hard to get a pedal anywhere near the floor.

:laugh:  great, that helps a little; we definitely know what they're not! They're not what people will generally think of when you talk about AP brakes on a Westfield, confusing I know!

As above, they look like Westfield cast uprights and a two pot calliper. They do look a little M16 ish, but I can't see enough to be completely sure... (my memory of M16's is getting hazier now! the other alternative, but they're rare, that the factory used briefly, were Landrover a Discovery rear callipers.)

Pulling a brake pad out and getting a photo of it square on, while it's laid out flat sure help confirm the identity of the callipers, though. Or a clearer view of the side of the calliper. (Might need to pop a wheel off, to make it easier).

Pedal to the floor is definitely a no no, though. Or do you just mean that no matter how hard you press the pedal, it doesn't stop any better?

All taken on board cheers, I'll try and get some pics soon

yes, I meant when I brake its foot down but not stopping quick enough so get that dazed look on your face (I'd imagine) not that the fluid has a leak, although changing the fluid isn't such a bad idea, it's 6 /7 years old. 

Definitely change the fluid at that age. However, I'd go so far as to say a performance car like the Westfield can sometimes benefit from even more frequent changes than the normal every two years or so, if it's being used hard on track. 

Heavy track use can put a lot of heat into the fluid. If you get as far as brake fade on track, then I'd virtually say change your fluid too. Been there, got that t-shirt. :down:

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.