Newbie in Derbyshire

Tony Smiley

Hi everybody,

My name is Tony and I have recently joined the club.

A bit of background:

I have a small business, building and tuning race engines, predominantly for motorcycles.  To help promote the business I Drag race a turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa, producing 600 BHP, in the ACU Competition Bike class, ridden by my son, Eddy.   Eddy has decided that this is his last season racing due to family commitments and so I have decided to change direction and try my hand in the Speed Series.

As you can imagine I have plenty of Hayabusa engine parts available and so I intend to race in the bike engine class.  I have many questions, so, assuming I have the power plant covered, as a start I would greatly appreciate your knowledge and advice on the following:

• Should I build a new kit from the ground up, if so what is the true cost after bringing the basic Westfield specification up to a decent competitive standard – I see from reading the forum that many parts are upgraded – predominantly suspension, anti-roll bars, brakes, wishbones, LSD, etc. etc.  I assume I would need a roll cage?
  • If I buy a built car, what should I be looking for as a minimum for competition use?
  • If I bought a built car with, say, a Zetec engine, how much is involved in converting it to take the hayabusa engine?  Is this a practical proposition?

I should add that I could just about afford a new kit from Westfield (circa £15k), and would love to build my own, but I don’t want to waste money if half of it will need upgrading with “aftermarket” parts before it turns a wheel!  I will also need a trailer.

I look forward to some advice, and getting involved in the race series next season!

Here is a pic of the bike, just for interest!

Tony

20170411_184122.jpg

:ww: I to am in Derbyshire and have completed my first speed series event this year but plenty more competent members will be along shortly to advise.

@terry everall for speed series questions and BEC's 

possible car 

Thanks, I had seen this, but the price seemed high - hence my questions previously.

having said that there is a lot of engine there.

It's almost the same colour scheme as my bike :rolleyes:

There re a lot of issues to think about. A sprint Busa needs dry sumping ( some use swinging arm but not favoured by most). Depends on whether you want to go "Road Going" or on slicks. Easier to convert a Westfield with the Bike Engined Chassis

Give me a call to discuss options, engines etc

Terry 07767836234

Hi Tony. Welcome.

The Derby and Notts Area meet at the Clock Warehouse, London Road, Shardlow, Derby DE72 2GL on the first Thursday of every month. So the next meeting is Thursday 7th September. We meet from around 7pm.

You will be able to meet up and discuss Westfields with many experts, and me!

Hope to see you there!

Matt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Haynes said:

Hi Tony. Welcome.

The Derby and Notts Area meet at the Clock Warehouse, London Road, Shardlow, Derby DE72 2GL on the first Thursday of every month. So the next meeting is Thursday 7th September. We meet from around 7pm.

You will be able to meet up and discuss Westfields with many experts, and me!

Hope to see you there!

Matt

Weather permitting, I hope to make it to my first meet too!

• Like 1

Can't help with the questions, I'm a car engined man but that bike looks incredible!

Welcome from Chesterfield.....ish

2 hours ago, terry everall said:

There re a lot of issues to think about. A sprint Busa needs dry sumping ( some use swinging arm but not favoured by most). Depends on whether you want to go "Road Going" or on slicks. Easier to convert a Westfield with the Bike Engined Chassis

Give me a call to discuss options, engines etc

Terry 07767836234

Hi Terry, thank you for the info.  Dry sumping is no problem, I assumed it would be required as on ultra high powered drag bikes.  The most important info you allude to is that the bike engined cars have a different chassis.  So, if I were to buy a fireblade powered car, for example, I could install the Busa engine relatively easily?

I intend to turbo charge the car to give about 350 hp, with a Motec ECU, so definitely slick tyres with traction control (assuming this is allowed?)

10 minutes ago, RussH said:

Can't help with the questions, I'm a car engined man but that bike looks incredible!

Welcome from Chesterfield.....ish

Thank you kind Sir :t-up:

Tony

What you suggest is easy with fabricated engine cradle to suit the Busa. 

You would be in class H on A15 slicks etc