Life after Westy's...earning my petrolhead stripes

B.RAD

Seeing this topic 

and with my own thoughts about selling up and moving on, I got to wondering - what cars do people move on to after the Westfield and how do you feel about it?

Yes I know there is nothing comparable, so it's not so much the comparison I'm interested in, it's more about what you did next, and maybe even after that?

I'm in a place where my car is as developed as it can be without a 5 figure investment, and I've got a lot of itches to scratch (Porsche, V8, classic yank V8, Honda NSX, AC Cobra kit, plus a lot more!). With a track slag mx5 shared with my pal @Marto303 and a classic mini that I can do sprints and hillclimbs in with dad, I feel that the garage space occupied by the Westfield is yearning for a change. But I'm so attached to Ol' Red and have put so much personal and financial investment into it, it's hard to let go. So for those that did, what's life after Westy ownership like?

• Like 1

I was Westy-less for a while, but had a couple of MX-5s to play around with. I wondered if they might be able to fill the void but, they didn't really get close. As you know I ended up with a simpler, cheaper, slower Westy and I'm absolutely loving it :t-up:

Everyone is different I guess, but I can't see any car with a screen and doors ticking the enjoyment (broad term, I know) box enough for me. That's why I came back. I say any car because I have driven / been in a few nice things in the past and they were a proper snoozefest in comparison with a wet right elbow, a cold forehead, a set of ITBs in the right ear and an shouty exhaust note in the left! Maybe something like a GT3 RS might be different, though... Where's that lottery ticket?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll tell you when I sell it, but given I already have the replacement I feel vaguely qualified to answer. Similar to your shared MX5 I've gone for a shared RX8 cheapo track car which I co-own with Pete. It's not as fast as the Westy round track (although I managed to get within 3 and a bit seconds around Blyton Eastern, which I was pretty happy with!) but it sure is a lot of fun ;)

I'm currently undecided as to whether I'll buy a more road-focused 'second' car or just start tinkering with the Subaru more, given that my work mileage has reduced and it's no longer performing towing duties, but only time will tell. Need to sell the Westy first...!

• Like 1

I have worked my way through a broad mix of cars and still own a few including the Westfields.

My brother, a couple of friends and I were having this debate yesterday after Snetterton trackday which I did in the RX8.  It was dry in the morning and monsoon in the afternoon.

The RX8 is nicely balanced and comfortable but doesn't have much power / weight and after a few hard laps you really worry about the brakes.

You will never find anything with the driving purity of the Westfield, and I know you have been unlucky in your ownership at times, they are a very cheap car to run.  A track accident that would cost a few hundred quid to repair on the Westfield would probably write off the RX8.

But as a road car other than odd blasts Westfields are I think limited, especially if you want to take the other half.

Of the cars I have experienced (excluding more exotic stuff) I rate the Evora as the best drivers cars and if you fit comfortably Elises are a great all round car.  Neither are playful but they are great to steer.

I don't rate any of the BMWs I have owned / driven as the steering always feels inert.  Porsches are great if you own in warranty as they seem to have many more engine problems than you might expect.

TVRs are now generally over priced and don't handle well other than the latest T350 based cars

We really came to the conclusion that there is not much out there new today that is lightweight (max, 1100kgs)  around 250 to 300bhp,  2 seats rwd and manual.

Ginetta missed the mark with the G40

I am looking forward to what the new Elise will be next year.

David

• Like 1

My car browsing after I had an empty garage put me in a zone of 

1/ low or no depreciation

2/ cheap to run

3/ Easy to drive

4/ something a bit different

I thought seriously about BMW Z4 coupes, as they arent loosing money , low annual mileage will keep running costs low and are a nice 'Bangle-ised' car. Then I looked at other types of kitcars and scratched my head a lot. Cars with doors and air con even ! . But somehow, I headed back to a Westie. Mainly as I wanted to build it and I knew how they more or less went together. It did surprise a few mates , as they thought I'd scratched the itch previously. But they do meet the criteria above . Having owned an Elise and got bored of trying to get in and out , with the roof on and my mates Exige even worse, TVR's and worse than a kitcar quality.  Must admit to thinking of moving on again and build something with doors and aircon, so I may move the car on , but its not an easy decision to make...................

Gardner Douglas is next on my list. Not cheap but the lure of an LS engine is too much to resist.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm with you. I neeeeeeed a V8 in my life and keep looking at the cobra kits that come up on eBay.  I've talked with the missus about doing a build and I think she's warming to the idea. I'm tempted by a decent built cobra with a pinto or V6 at the cheaper end of the spectrum and retro fitting a nice V8 lump. I say it like it'd be me doing the work, but I do of course mean @Marto303!! :laugh: :laugh: 

All this will be post-house extension of course, but it's good to have a plan.

Sat in my garage is a Lotus +2 awaiting a start, or selling. I love the Westfield but they are limited if you want some form of comfort and as age creeps up it is something to bear in mind. Also a track day in the wet is not a great day in a Westfield lets be honest.

I like building things and so far the list has been a Chesil, doors heater hood wind up windows (but slow). The new Ferrari replica but at £60-70k finished a huge chunk but I reckon with everything in a sub £20k lotus will fill the bill with a Spyder chassis and Zetec engine. It would be perfect for touring and handling wise better than most. But even at that you would get a nice Boxster which will do everything.

Time will tell but to me nothing is like a Westfield and I hope to have one for a long time.

• Like 1

I'm a potterer not a blatter so I am starting to think the MX5 might do it for me. I know folk have said the MX5 isn't the same and I get that, but for funday drives in the countryside, it might do.

And when it comes to that time I can look at a supercharged and tweaked MX or perhaps that over priced tarted up Arbarth version. I need something easy to sit in and drive rather than a road ripper. But it must be able to go topless...

Or there is always a BMW Z4 option if I feel bad, might be a bit of both... Because I am not sure I can live with being outdragged by a Prius 

Hopefully still in the westie for a few years yet but I do fancy a Porsche 718 Boxster Convertible with a 10 second auto roof.

Before I got the westie I tried a Ginetta G40R but had great difficulty getting in and out so decided against.

1 hour ago, DonPeffers said:

Hopefully still in the westie for a few years yet but I do fancy a Porsche 718 Boxster Convertible with a 10 second auto roof.

Before I got the westie I tried a Ginetta G40R but had great difficulty getting in and out so decided against.

I did have a look at the G40R , with a view to buying, but was so badly built , I said to the wife ' I could build a better car than that !' , she said, 'well why don't you' , which is why I built the westie. I know what you mean about getting in. Was tougher than the Elise with the roof on............

41 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

I did have a look at the G40R , with a view to buying, but was so badly built , I said to the wife ' I could build a better car than that !' , she said, 'well why don't you' , which is why I built the westie. I know what you mean about getting in. Was tougher than the Elise with the roof on............

likewise I went up to look at one.  Seemed so promising after the autocar review but apart from the super strong welded chassis and integrated FIA approved cage, everything else about the car and the company was disappointing.

David

Having sold my XI in 2014 I bought an Ultima GTR.  Having had it 3 years it is now (hopefully) sold and I am now looking for another toy.  The handling of the XI is what I miss most, it certainly was not the quickest car on track but I had more fun than you can shake a stick at.  Almost 100bhp from a leaky A Series, skinny hard tyres and laughable grip, but the balance was amazing.  I could throw the car into a corner, the front would turn in and the rear could be steered easily with the right foot.  Throw it in a bit harder and it would 4 wheel drift nicely for as long as you wanted to get round the corner.

I want something that will do the same, I could go back to an XI but I fancy a bit more power, so maybe a Caterham (especially if I stay a member of the WSCC as it will cause the heritage beards to implode!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MK11 said:

skinny hard tyres and laughable grip, but the balance was amazing.

For me, this is what makes a car fun...

Must admit that I've had 3 Westies now and although the demise of the first one was definitely unplanned, I've always come to the conclusion that, personally, I can't find anything that beats a Westie for the combination of performance, ease of maintenance, parts availability, running costs, camaraderie from fellow owners and, probably most importantly, outright fun. During the periods I haven't owned one, I've always regretted it.

I did try restoring/running a Mk1 MX5 and enjoyed it but apart from being drier when it rained, it didn't come close to the Westie in any other department (for me anyway).

Mine is mostly used on the road nowadays (although not as much as I'd like) and I can't see me moving to anything else through choice until I'm physically not able to get in and out of it!

Matt

• Like 1