Back from the dead

Jitterbug

Hi All, 

My name is Mike, I live in Bristol and I have just bought my first Westfield. It is a red 1987 chassis SE that was registered in 1994 showing a 1780cc engine with the dvla. It is on a Q plate which ends in HAC. I bought the car a few weeks ago but only collected it today. It is in full project state and has been completely disassembled. 

My aim is to rebuild the car and bring it back from the dead. It was taken off the road I think due to engine problems, but it has no paperwork, just a logbook and a construction manual. 

The car has distinctive stickers on it, including one that says 'I wish my missis was this fast' and I am hoping someone might recognise the car, and may know a bit about its history. My guess is the car has been off the road for a long time! 

There is a metal plaque on the fibreglass bulkhead that holds the windscreen saying manufactured by Westfield with the chassis number. Was this standard on the se kits? It does not list an engine number. There is also an Id tag welded to the frame with matching numbers. 

I see there is no AO for Bristol, however I would love to meet fellow owners and see their cars. 

Pics below 

Thanks in advance! 

DSC_8032.JPG

DSC_8034.JPG

DSC_8050.JPG

DSC_8051.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jitterbug said:

There is a metal plaque on the fibreglass bulkhead that holds the windscreen saying manufactured by Westfield with the chassis number. Was this standard on the se kits? It does not list an engine number. There is also an Id tag welded to the frame with matching numbers

:ww: on board and thanks for joining.  Looking forward to the rebirth with interest.  Yes, the plaque as you describe it was standard at the time.  The fact it matches the chassis ID is a good thing.  You'll find lots of help and helpful people in here, so ask lots of questions. :) 

Thanks guys, good news on the plaque. At the moment it's cataloging what I have, then starting the long process of refurbishment and replacement. This is the poor man's 'complete starter kit', just wish the garage was bigger! 

:ww:

Another pre-lit, great stuff.

Good luck with the resurrection!

Hello, I'm from Bristol too! Looks a project there. Good luck in getting it up and running I ll be up for run outs when you do :yes:

:ww:

Looks like a great project car with a very interesting engine. Keep the updates and pictures rolling.

:ww: from just down the road in sunny Somerset. Interesting project you've got.

Thanks guys, Billypee and Adgec it would be great to see your cars at some point. If there is any southwest kit car gatherings then please let me know and I will try and come along. Not going to be driving mine for a while.. But I'll start a build thread soon. 

• Like 1

:ww:from the Midlands!

Looks like you have a lot to do but just to spur you on here is a picture of a similar car at a recent Black Country area meet. Geoff is a regular at area meets and at Shelsley Walsh if you want see the car at all as it is still in very original condition!

image.thumb.jpg.f11f8f941e10e8cf205b54f45aa9e671.jpg

great photo Martyn, i used to work in Smethick of all places so might have to pop up at the next meet and see Geoff's yellow peril. Geoff's car looks super clean. Anybody know what the bonnet scoop is for? I assume to allow room for a single carburetor on top of the crossflow engine, which would not be required if you ran twin webbers as they are flatter.

Thanks
Mike 

Correct Mike, used on the single downdraft Weber 32/36 DGV installations. Ah, those were the days!

Remember helping a school mate build an early Westfield with a 1.3 crossflow with that carb, (it was all he could get insurance for).