Cycle wings - or not.

5even7

That's got a genuine, classy, old-school look and it might be a shame to 'spoil' it. I know the current fashion is to make them look all race-track & carbon bling (guilty-ish) but nowt wrong with that look at all.

• Like 1

having had two previous cars with cycle wings, my current car has clamshells and i prefer the look of them, especially with chrome - the classic look.  I also prefer them for keeping the muck from kicking up too far and mine also has a fantastic turning circle, unlike the other cars! 

• Like 1

As a stripped out aeroscreen type I'd usually say carbon cycle wings. 

But your car looks great as it is and so I'd say stick with the clamshells as they suit the car as a whole. 

Agree with 13" minilites and 5 ¾ " headlights too. 

29 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

5 ¾ " headlights too

Still say 7" - but what can I say, I'm compensating...

And @5even7, this is kinda how it goes here

One question,

20 opinions,

All of them right...

@5even7 My car is the same black with full chrome as yours but with cycle wings - and I am so jealous, I couldn't find the right car at the right price with clamshells. Had been looking for almost a year, but most of the clamshell cars at the time were rough/long-in-the-tooth.

I say go to cycle wings, and I'll buy your clamshells if they're mint!  See far-right car in pic for inspiration:t-up:

5988a6883c4d4_IMG_20170805_164245-Copy.thumb.jpg.0572e2f126d30afd6d1f6158a73f4c20.jpg

• Like 1

Regardless of whether your personal preference is for cycle wings or clams, it does always seem a shame that so many. Wry traditional looking Westfields , with clams, end up being bought and converted. I sometimes wonder if by the time the conversion was finished, it wouldn't have just been cheaper to buy a modern looking car to begin with.

So much "history" of early cars is just swept away, with a wrap finish and a dose of carbon.

FWIW, I love the look of both style of cars, but the colour scheme, interior, and most of the details on yours, do scream clamshells. Fully agree with the comments on the wheels though, they don't quite gel. Minilights obviously work well, but a set of Caterham, "Prisoner" style wheels would look awesome with the exterior/interior colour scheme.

They are still in fashion with gentlemen of a certain age...

And try to ignore the other midlife crisis lurking in the background - Grizlee couldn't help himself 

IMG_2649.thumb.jpg.fe3ae041020a4fae548b0bd282fd6927.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 5even7 said:

Thanks again, those wheels do look good.

My cars currently on 7x15 wheels with 195/50/15 tyres, should I keep the same side or go smaller?

I had thought of going for 13" wheels but any comments would be appreciated.

The original recommended wheel size for narrows was 14x6 ET20, which is effectively what I bought (ET23) with 6mm spacers at the front to compensate for the wheel stud length.  Watch the offset carefully!  Plenty of road tyre choice on 14s and 15s, less so on 13s depending on size.

I've yet to see a clamshell clad car that doesn't look right. Mine has cycle wings at the moment, but I would not rule out changing them in the near future. The original post picture looks fantastic in that colour scheme and the clams really look right. I'd leave it as it is with a wheel style change if it was mine. And I wish it was...

On 07/08/2017 at 19:15, John K said:

They are still in fashion with gentlemen of a certain age...

And try to ignore the other midlife crisis lurking in the background - Grizlee couldn't help himself 

IMG_2649.thumb.jpg.fe3ae041020a4fae548b0bd282fd6927.jpg

I've told you before, there's nothing wrong with a Vauxhall Corsa :p

I'll disagree with Scott too :laugh:.

7" headlights look nice and traditional IMO and I'd stick with 15" wheels for the same reason. Minilites would be fine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

and I'd stick with 15" wheels for the same reason

Did you mean 15" or 13" ? 

Wheels are even more of a personal choice than headlights but I would usually think 13" was more 'traditional'...

Looks fantastic as it stands to me.. - although I agree on the wheels!

I love that interior, and the Crossflow puts mine to shame!

• 2 years later...