Cycle wings - or not.

5even7

Hello.

I've just joined the forum as i need inspiration in regards with where to go forward with my 1995 crossflow powered, narrow bodied Westfield.

I bought the kit in 1994 completing the build and registering it in 1995 and have owned it ever since (scary to think that was 23 years ago).

The cars been off the road for a couple of years as i was restoring a classic BMW and had no time to drive it but with that now sold I have time to give it some attention. I could just MOT and drive it but as the bodywork is getting a little tatty with the usual star cracks and stonechips I've decided to repair and re-paint it.

As you can see from the pictures I built it with the classic clamshell type wings but I'm now considering a change to cycle wings.

I'd like to hear Westfield owners views on this as a few people have said the clamshell's suit the classic look of my particular car better.

Heres the car.

36013317700_96e57c5302_b.jpg

36273276481_3dc2401301_b.jpg

36013323000_b087ca6a1f_b.jpg

36013327490_e594612428_b.jpg

36273280111_657b64f55e_b.jpg

Many Thanks.

Paul.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of clamshells at all, but that looks really good!

....and the low fluid warning on your brake master cylinder isn't plugged in :)

• Like 1

I'd also leave it on clamshells and would treat to a nice set of minilights with polished rims

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

I'd also leave it on clamshells and would treat to a nice set of minilights with polished rims

^^this. Lovely looking car. The clams suit it to a T

5 minutes ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

Another vote for leaving the clamshells on and changing the wheels.

:yes:

Much prefer the cycle wings but welcome and it looks as though you made a beautiful job of building her....it looks a credit to you.

whats the spec of the engine btw....

nice to see another narrow xflow engined platform still alive lol...

mart.

Thanks for your comments. It looks like I may be keeping the clamshell....Which is pretty handy really as I have a brand new set in the loft that I bought a few years ago cheap of eBay 'just in case' (I have a load of spare parts for this car I've bought because they 'might come in handy').

I had already decided to change the wheels and I do like like the Minilite look so they're definitely in the mix but wheels are always a tricky thing to choose so I'll need a little more time to decide on these.

The crossflow engine is in pretty standard tune of the day, 1700, twin 40 Dellorto's, 234 Kent cam, high compression pistons, big valve ported head with uprated valve springs and solid rocker mounts, lightened flywheel, performance distributor and an oil cooler.

Choices for wheels will be my next dilemma.

Clamshells give you more exclusivity....!
I have grown to like them as well, and are now part of the cars unique history.

Dave

My narrow earlier today with clamshells and Minilights for your styling consideration.  Also 5 3/4" headlights rather than 7" headlights.  They suit a narrow body IMHO.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.e71f7f4eb3f26a3baf61318fe722cac0.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks again, those wheels do look good.

My cars currently on 7x15 wheels with 195/50/15 tyres, should I keep the same side or go smaller?

I had thought of going for 13" wheels but any comments would be appreciated.

Wow, that looks lovely. Your car is basically the same configuration as mine. But diametrically opposite in terms of condition. It is gorgeous and a credit to you.

IMHO if you are a 'potterer' and the car is for nice drives in the country (stop yawning some of you) clamshells are the only way to go. And they make the car look 'freindlier'.

If you are a 'blatter' and will be likely to add carbon bits, cycle guards fit perfectly. 

Clamshells get my :yes:

As for wheels, 13" Minilites.

Which puts us firmly into Mr Toad teritory so here I will disagree with Scott and say 7" lamps