Gearbox required - all options considered

B.RAD

My gearbox has been pronounced officially dead and irreparable, unfortunately including the casing, so I'm in a start again situation :( I'm gutted because it was only rebuilt just over a year ago.

It was a type 9 with Quaife HD Pro straight cut gears, 2.39 first, short input shaft.

I've entered Loton Park on 26/27 August and would ideally like to have something to get me out for then.

Open to all options, 4 speed, 5 speed, dog box, sequential, including standard boxes too as I may need an exchange item.

What have you got chums?

Have a 5 Speed type 9 with Tran X uprated gears, long first gear etc. Has been pedalled by Tim Nunn though in a previous life so absolutely no guarantees given :d In all seriousness though it has just been rebuilt as was going to be used for a duratec car, but customer has since go to a 60G.

• Like 1

Don't really know, it's full of oil so wasn't that, but it's catastrophic. 

It didn't sound particularly noisy when you were in it with me did it?

Hope you get sorted Barny, and if you don't mind me jumping on your wagon I'm still looking for a type 9 with long first but needs to be helical/semi-helical.

Ian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BCF said:

Don't really know, it's full of oil so wasn't that, but it's catastrophic. 

It didn't sound particularly noisy when you were in it with me did it?

Nope, can't say it sounded noisy to me

Were there bits in the bottom of it then?

Mate I haven't seen it myself, I've only had a telephone conversation with @windy but safe to say it's destroyed. Didn't look too bad to my untrained eye when we took it out, clear baulk ring failure and the blocker bars had come out but windy's description was like something from a horror story.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I've got a good option on the table from Luke but still keen to hear what's out there, @pete g maybe has something tucked away in his emporium?

2 broken baulk rings and detached blocker bars from the 4th / 3rd synchro hub + a layshaft that's rotated and destroyed the case at the front and the rear tailhousing. The bearing surface of the layshaft has picked up, the rear bearing (big one) has broken into bits. There are lots of metal particles inside everywhere which have worked through all the bearings. The gear teeth have worn strangely due out of alignment mesh. It could be saved but a donor case is required and quite a few expensive quaife parts need to be bought.

It looks to have happened over a period of time rather than suddenly looking by the state of the oil contamination and wear to teeth. Detached blocker bars are an unrelated issue I think, but that's what caused the gear selection issues.

I'll try to get some photos posted if I get a chance.

Cheers Windy. I find it so odd that there were no 'symptoms' - no strange noises, no loud noises, no gear selection issues. Smooth and quiet right up until it went. 

We'll have a chat tomorrow about what value there is left in the box. 

Thanks for your help mate :yes:

barney  i have a 4 speed sequential quaife  box and a 6 speed  60 g quaife box . but both are not a straight quick swap . plus i dont really want to part with then yet . till i know what im doing with my westfields . sorry

No worries Pete, thanks for coming back to me anyway! I may go sequential one day, but as you say it's not a quick swap and I need something to get me out for Loton. Think Luke might have the answer...

12 hours ago, windy said:

It looks to have happened over a period of time rather than suddenly looking by the state of the oil contamination and wear to teeth. Detached blocker bars are an unrelated issue I think, but that's what caused the gear selection issues.

Was thinking about this overnight @windy, the gearbox has done less than 700 miles. As I said and as Gary has confirmed, there were no odd noises right up until the moment it went. I'm confident it isn't something that has been happening for a while, unless it is related to the noise I flagged with you after it was first installed?

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.