Claymills Steaming Day, Sun 27th August

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Meet 10.30 am at Hulme End Tea Junction, SK17 0EZ and follow @Trevturtle until we get to the largest Lemon Meringue Pies in the land, at Denstone. Having re-fuelled our tummies we will go to the Victorian Pumping Station at Claymills DE13 0DB, for privileged parking and a visit on a rare 'steaming day'

Yes, it is August Bank Holiday weekend and it is The Gold Cup at Oulton Park, but this event is also not to be missed, so instead of choosing we will go to both, why wouldn't you?

• Like 2

If anyone is travelling from Derby,  we can meet at Marketon McDonald's  9.45am  to 10am

Website Link 

I visited today (24-8) and they have confirmed we can park on site,  not in the normal car park. Entry is normally £6 per person on a steaming day, but they have offered free entry as we are in Westfields.   (it would be good if you can make a donation if you attend, they do a fantastic job of restoration, tours etc.)

There's a lot to see and viewing a large pumping engine in steam is a rare sight the days.

The restoration of the pumping station is undertaken by volunteers and funded by donations & entry charges made on steaming days only. 

Well worth a visit..and a second visit for me :)

13 hours ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

..... largest Lemon Meringue Pies ......

:( dam, will miss this day :(:(

Lemon Meringue is one of my favourites

But we're way down South visiting friends :):)

I might be able to make this as we come back from holiday the Friday before.

• Like 1

Probably straight to the Gold Cup for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I visited the pumping station today and they have confirmed we can park on site away from the normal carpark. Also entry is free...although it would be good if we can each make a  donation.    See you on Sunday (with a surprise from me :rolleyes:)

@Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO ..tell Glen I'll bring the Syncro thingy

Well organised Trevor, obviously you were not having a busy day at work today :)

I have told Glen, and funnily enough he knows exactly what you mean, even though it does not have a number like @IanK. Glen is going to bring the sunshine :sun: not a bad trade off, don't you think?

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2017 at 14:01, aeg said:

Hi Julia, should be able to make this as not working:d cheers Andy and Becky

Hi Andy, we will meet you at Bassetts pole for the trip up to The Tea Junction.

Kate and I can make this one so we look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Plan is to meet up with @Trevturtle in Derby

Steve

Many thanks to Julie and Trevor for organising today's run.

Great roads, great food and great company!

Good to finish up at the Claymills pumping station in full steam. Have driven past many times over the years but never made it in before.

Steve

• Like 1

Your welcome Steve, glad you both enjoyed it.

We arrived on time, which by everyone else's clock was early, and removed the bonnet so the engine could cool off ready for Trevor's Synchro thingy

DSC01480.JPG

Martyn and Sue arrived

DSC01481.JPG

Followed by Andy and Becky

DSC01485.JPG

Trevor fetched his surprise, it was his wife, and a very well done to Kirsty for joining us all today

DSC01487.JPG

He was followed by Ray, Steve and Kate, and Colin

DSC01489.JPG

Trevor soon got down to business with the Synchro jobby, and the good news was that all 4 throttle bodies read the same, thank you Trevor.

DSC01492.JPG

After a quick tea and wee we were soon ready for the off. Hilarious, Trevor was leading and we got to the end of the road and he is in his mirror, gesturing which direction to travel, leading is harder than it looks!

DSC01494.JPG

• Like 1

We followed Trevor through some lovely countryside, past Alton Towers and to the Lemon Meringue cafe. This is my photo of our cars taken from the ground.

DSC01505.JPG

But 'Rambo' here took one from a different angle

DSC01507.JPG

Then it was 'cake time'

DSC01512.JPG

The monkeys at the tea party

DSC01513.JPG

Colin had family commitments and had to leave, but thank you for coming today. After cake we set off on Trevors Circular Tour of Uttoxeter, passing Taten Hill Air Field to arrive at Claymills where the staff allowed us to park next to the pumping station.

DSC01540.JPG

DSC01543.JPG

This is a Governor, which is the steam equivalent of cruise control

DSC01550.JPG

Martyn asked Andy if he thought this might fit in the WSCC tool roll

DSC01556.JPG

These stairs are today's health and safety nightmare

DSC01559.JPG

You thought Dave Eastwood was at Oulton, when in fact he is moonlighting in the blacksmiths 

DSC01561.JPG

This looked remarkably like Trevors garage

DSC01562.JPG

It has been a brilliant day, thank you to Trevor and everyone else that came. It must have been warm, I went home with only 1 coat on!

• Like 1