Taller windscreen

Weekend Warrior

Yes ,yes and yes .

You simply undo the Allen screws remove the existing windscreen and slot in the taller one .(according to their parts department )

Steve

• Thanks 1

The windscreens of whatever height are held in by four grub screws in the uprights, that's true.

If removing an already fitted screen, then you will potentially have to slacken off the uprights a little, just to get the screen to slide out - though this does seem to vary car to car. That said, I'd want to remove the very delicate grp screen fillet while fitting the screen, anyway.

Also, didn't someone say the taller screen sits at a slightly different angle?

So realistically, to swap a fitted screen for a new taller screen, it's a case of first remove the wipers and the top hats they fit on, then, supporting the screen, loosen the uprights and the screen clamp grub screws, very carefully lift off the very delicate screen fillet. Next slide out the existing screen.

However, two possible complications exist! If it's a heated screen, there will be a wire coming out from the base of the screen and going through the scuttle that will need sepperate get from the loom inside the scuttle.

The main one though, is that it's normal to silicon the screen to scuttle join. Do not underestimate the strength of this joint. If it's been done well, the screen practically sits in place, even without the support of the uprights!! Be very careful if cutting it not to hit wires fro the heater element, if fitted. 

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Also, didn't someone say the taller screen sits at a slightly different angle?

Yep it's raked back more. If your planning on using the matched doors then these will be required to set the rake. I have the measurement somewhere which is a ball park figure from screen to rear tub (mine has Fw rear) if anyone wants it.

17 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

Yep it's raked back more. If your planning on using the matched doors then these will be required to set the rake. I have the measurement somewhere which is a ball park figure from screen to rear tub (mine has Fw rear) if anyone wants it.

Recently set mine, initially at 930mm (top of screen to return edge of rear panel), never done it before, but wasn't 100% happy with sidescreen fit. Helpful as ever, sdh2903 kindly gave me his setting of 920mm, tried that, and seems more positive fit for rear of Sidescreens. So that's what I've used, again with FW rear. Apologies for "stealing your thunder" Steve!

All interesting information ,which was sadly missed by the parts department when I asked what was involved / needed to make the swap.

I don't have a heated screen so that's not a problem ,as far as the rake of the windscreen goes as I'm not going to be using side doors can I not just keep the uprights as they are and fit the screen ?

I never built the car and am not very mechanically minded so a question if I may ,when it was built at the factory would the nuts or whatever takes  the bolt fixing the arm to the body work be bonded to the back of the fibreglass ?

if it's only a slight adjustment does it require re drilling ,if so how do you get a nut behind the bodywork to hold it in the new position?

Have I wrongly assumed that this is a relatively easy swap as I was led to believe ?

On 29 July 2017 at 11:45, Doug Dastardly said:

Rear view mirror's a bit of a pain though...

I had a problem with my mirror drooping (ooo -er missus) a couple of months back.

I took it off temporarily to fettle it. the next night I went out with the Shropshire Area and realised that the forward view was transformed.

it's been sitting on the garage shelf ever since. I simply pulled the two wing mirrors in slightly to give a better view behind and Robert's your father's brother...

If your not fitting doors then no you can just leave the uprights where they are. It will just give you more height.

The only major concern then is how generous the builder has been with the sealant and more importantly which sealant. If just silicon then you might get away with a decent shuggle. If it's been sikaflexed or tiger sealed then all I'll say is good luck......

I guess the pillar mount has been the same for a while. In which case you will find its a countersunk head bolt, needing an Allen key on the outside, and a M6 (10mm A/F) locknut (and washer) up inside the scuttle. You should be able to get your hand up under the scuttle and onto the nuts, be suprised if they are captive having looked at some of the older build manuals on line!

If your car is anything like mine, you may find loosening the pillar mounting bolts will help to let you slide the screen out and in. Having first removed the wipers and fillet as Dave has highlighted previously.

• Thanks 1

Got an email from the factory yesterday saying they had just received a delivery of windscreens and that mine was ready ,result !

i went over to collect it and had a look round the factory ,one of the lads I talked to me confirmed it would just slot in,he also said as I have a playsschool roll bar and no wet gear and due to the fact I was keeping the existing uprights  I could keep the existing doors {that I never use anyway] without the need to adjust the rake .

obviously the windscreen would sit a little proud of the top of the door but with no roof to line up with it wouldn't mater ,maybe not ok for the purists but fine to stop buffeting if your bothered .

As advised by you lot he advised to loosen the uprights and warned me to be careful when tightening the grub screw that grips the windscreen as over tightening can easily crack the glass.

as far as the mastic goes he said to run a Stanley knife along the bottom of the screen .

I'll take a picture of the new screen and may even dig the doors out and fit them .

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got my head around most of the process involved after all the advice and a bit of poking and prodding but I'm stuck on the wiper bit .

Im sure it's a simple task ,but how do you get them off ? 

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

There should be a clip, lift the arm away from the screen keeping control of it so it doesn't snap back down. The clip is between the end of the spring and the spindle - move it away from the spindle and the arm should come away easily. Just visible on this picture.

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 14.49.10.png

• Thanks 1