Pound versus Euro

Terry Everall

Just converted £500 to Euro and ONLY GOT 540 Euro. 

Good old BREXIT !!!!!!!!! 

It was that low or lower at times well before  brexit

your exchange rate and the rip off world of the high street  currency exchangers is the story here 

• Like 1

I don't remember it being that bad before the Brexit vote

£1 buys only 1.08 Euros

It was almost parity December 2008 and then steadily increased with euro Greek issues etc until Brexit when it declined again 

If I remember correct, and I was not all that old at the time.   The aim when john major tried to link us at 1.5 euros to the £.      That did not work!   Resulting in something dismal not as dismal as if we had stayed in the monetary union. 

Brexit weekemd it was 1.18 ish to the £ aas I went to Spain and didn't think on to exchange before the vote. At least the weak £ has stopped all those jonny foreigners from buying up property in London tho 

Look on the bright side

low pound = higher exports and more UK manufacturing jobs . Holidays might cost more but if you can afford a holiday abroad then your doing ok anyway 

• Like 1

Think I will spend all my money before its worth sweet FA

Surely this is how exchange rates should work.   I bet Greece wish they had there own worthless currency rather than a euro they have no control over.    If they did we could go on holiday in Greece reallycheep buy Greek products really cheep.   Allowing money to flow into the country.  Foreign products (for them) would be expensive so people would buy there own products and this would help there own country and currency recover and find its natural level.

Germany which is doing really well would have a strong DM.   BMW's would be much to expensive for foreigners to buy.  Germany would struggle to export.  For Germans foreign stuff would be cheep do they would buy foreign goods allowing money to flow out of the country. 

The euro was a master stroke for the rich country's of Europe struggling with strong currencies.   The outcome is the rich countries got richer and the poorer struggled to keep up with no address.

The deflated pound should help strengthen British businesses. Unfortunately we are to reliant on cheep foreign goods and U.K. Indestry is all but gone so the option of buying British is hard for many items .

what brexit means really we don't know. It's as if haft the media, politicians and public want it to fail and the other half have a rose tinted view of how it could be.          What ever happens it will take some time for a new economic ecosystem to emerge.

• Like 1

Just glad I stuffed my wallet with euros some years back when the exchange was good for us brits :t-up: