Fridge Freezer Brands... Sammy or AEG..?

John K

The trusted old Bosch fridge freezer went pop last night (typically after I had just done the weekly shop and filled it) and seeing how its well over 20 years old and I can't see Grizz and Bill wanting to fix it, it's time for a new toy.

Height is the limiting factor and 1975mm is the absolute max, don't think of factoring in tilting it etc. the space it needs to go into is limited by area and a door frame.

I thought I had made up my mind on this Samsung (shame it is brushed steel but its not a beauty contest)

RB38J7255SR/EU - RB7000 Fridge Freezer with SpaceMax Technology, 384 L

Looks just the ticket except it is a 60/40 split and I would have preferred 50/50 between fridge and freezer. We could live with it but a bit of googling threw up an AEG.

I don't know them as a brand but from days gone by I thought AEG was decent, but I am worried it has gone the way of Bosch and sold out on the internals and are trading on the old name and reputation (I've heard from too many places that Bosch white goods are not much cop any more)

So... Anybody want to offer any opinions on AEG..?

Damn, Bosch used to be my go-too brand, too. 

I've alays wanted one of those large 'Smeg' ones.

But can't fault the NEFF we actually have :-)

Had this dilemma a while back, took a long time but was so dissapointed with the quality of many of the offerings, ended up going budget-buster and bought a Miele. Happy we did too. One of our needs was a 50:50 split and no smaller than the outgoing Hotpoint. Hard to find that.

eta, didn't look at AEG fridges, but was so disappointed when looking for a cooker that the AEG was so cheap and nasty in construction. Had fully intended to buy the AEG as well, but it was expensive and nasty. Ended up with NEFF built in oven and induction hob which required more work fitting but it was worth it.

Did a load of research when our (cheapo - came with the house) 50/50 built-in one went pop at the height of last summers heatwave and plumped for a Gorenje.  Believe some of theirs are rebranded as Smeg too

Have a look at  

Beko , Dutch Co . its deffo  good kit :t-up:

Lec is a top brand UK refridgeration manufacturer 

12 hours ago, John K said:

The trusted old Bosch fridge freezer went pop last night (typically after I had just done the weekly shop and filled it) and seeing how its well over 20 years old and I can't see Grizz and Bill wanting to fix it, it's time for a new toy.

Oh no!

Tell me the beers not getting warm... you can manage without the food :p

Renewing the kitchen and SWMBO fell in love with full height MATCHING AEG fridge and freezer, they were gunmetal grey with full length handles they looked brilliant. When they were delivered I spent ages trying to match the top/bottom cabinets and handles up. Eventually gave up as the cabinets were different size plus the top door gaps varied 8mm and the adjustment feet fouled their fixing bracket so only 50% adjustment available and the one with the dropped door ( non adjustable ) would not allow the foot cover to be fitted and shut the door.

I telephoned AEG who are" Electrolux" over several days and finally sent them a lengthy email on their complaints web page. after 3 weeks I finally got through on the phone to be told how lucky I was to get through and they do reply to emails within 5/6 WEEKS, I hung up.

I then sent all these details to John Lewis Chichester and they finally contacted AEG, I was not privy to the conversation but was offered a full refund of £1500 or replacement.

AEG are made in Eastern Europe and Turkey, I looked at a similar Grundig and they are made in Turkey by BEKO, the equivalent  BEKO was 50% cheaper for the same unit.  I went back to good old reliable BOSCH but not before making phone contact with all departments and having a fax stating my all the parts and assembly were made in Germany by BOSCH. ( probably by Turkish employees??) So give AEG a wide berth. Picture of the offending AEG and the replacement black Bosch which are so much better and considerably quieter.   

The old Bosh units were 17 years old and quite serviceable, they spent several weeks outside in the wind and rain and when the new units were to be changed over I washed them out with hot soapy water and the garden hose, ran a power lead out and the following morning took all the food outside for 36 hours. 

DSC03526.JPG

DSC03527.JPG

Looks like I have plumped for the default of German engineering... Liebherr (it turns out I knew the name, but from the heavy plant I used to see on sites)

Liebherr CN 4315 Comfort NoFrost

And drifting my own thread, will get the Miele WMF121 or WDD030 washing machine at the same time

Going out this avro to hand over my filthy cash

Too many brands are made by somebody else, somewhere else. As per Iain's post - was hoping he had fallen for the old "photograph something shinny in the nuddy..." trap...

Doing as much googling as I can it seems Liebherr really are german kit. And seem to get good write ups.

We have (circa 8 yr) a Leibherr - BUT it definitely not a NoFrost as it requires defrosting few times a year!

Can't fault build quality though.

1 hour ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

Can't fault build quality though

Just been to the local decent kit showroom (where I got my Britannia range from) and done a door slamming test on the Leibherr - it's a bl**** Mercedes of the fridge world... Well impressed.

Will be interesting to see how it deals with no frost - they do make a big thing of it in the blurb, but according to the blurb, you can live with a Westie everyday...

It arrives next Tuesday along with the new washing machine. New Toy time..!!!