Is it just me? FW rear.

MK11

Is it just me that doesn't like the new FW rear body?  The nose I could live with, I think, although bonnet opening would possibly drive me mad, but the rear just does nothing for me and the roof on the FW bodywork just looks rubbish to me.  This is beginning to cause me a little concern, as most of the cars I see that have the spec I would prefer look great, right up until I see the rear end.

I could, of course fork out to build one with the nice rear on, but if the new bodywork is what people want then it could cause an issue if/when I try to sell.

• Like 1

I think the FW looks fantastic, not like a seven copy. Each to their own.

• Like 3

I also like the FW and glad they have tried something new.  But still love the old rear end too.

I think the Rear end looks great ,flowing lines round modern lights ,a step n the right direction .

The old rear end ,in my opinion ,was a bit boxy and the lights plain and basic ,when viewed from the back it could be a MK ,low cost,  Caterahm ,Robin Hood,or any number of other makes .

My rear end is curvy and distinctive and as such clearly a Westfield ..

• Like 1

I'm obviously biased but I prefer the FW.

I do agree that with the roof it looks odd.

• Like 1

I didn't like the FW rear until I saw it in real life - then I was gutted I couldn't have it with the Mazda SDV :d

Clearly personal taste as demonstrated above.

TBH I was about to buy a Caterham until I saw the FW rear end on a Westfield.  It's such an improved departure from the normal 7-esk rears that I was smitten.

So, that rear potentially saved me a small fortune...! 

• Like 3

I like the classic look myself and think it is very distinctively Westfield. 

The FW looks great too but very happy with my chunky behind!

• Like 2

Seeing an FW in the wild was what caused me to look into building a Westfield in the first place! I like the difference from the classic seven look.

• Like 1

On 22-7-2017 at 21:05, Dommo said:

I didn't like the FW rear until I saw it in real life - then I was gutted I couldn't have it with the Mazda SDV :d

You can if you do some mods to the rear diff.   There's a build thread about it. 

Must admit, although I like the FW, my preference is for the 'traditional' shape. I even prefer the earlier 'kit' bodywork over the ZK. Just think the lines of the car flow slightly better.

They're all good though!

Matt

All down to such a matter of taste!

That said, personally, I like both traditional bodystyle cars and full FW, or any mix of the two.

I'd love to have gone for the FW rear on my current car, but was nervous how it would look with the clamshell wings, plus, and these two points were the clincher, i keep the car outside and do use it in all weathers, this means the hood being on is its default state, I dislike the FW hood with a passion! And secondly, though I like the enclosed boot idea, it's just too damn small.

Hood wise, it's a shame, I don't know if it's still current, but they came up with a much nicer hood design for the Sport Turbo, which also looks like it might have a better boot design.

I do think the FW style in general though, breathes a much needed blast of fresh air into the whole "seven" market. And given that it was copied, almost to the mm, (oh the irony when Westfield tried to go legal), by another kit manufacturer, FW owners can't be the only ones to think it looks great!

As far as the traditional shape goes, the early, narrow, low line, is by far the prettiest; and to my eye, the only one where the proportions of the body really suit cycle wings from all angles!! (I'm not saying cycle wings on a ZK wide body look ugly, just that from certain side views, from lower down especially, they do make the engine bay section look heavy and slightly out of proportion. That's where the clamshell wings help, by breaking up that view :d )

i think if building a track orientated Westfield, tough, I'd go FW every time.

do any of the sport turbo get sold in the UK? never seen one or heard of one on the forum

51 minutes ago, darve said:

do any of the sport turbo get sold in the UK? never seen one or heard of one on the forum

Yes, but we're (or used to be) quite a different market. The U.K. ST's as far as I know tended to sell into the much more non-enthusiast type market as an alternative to other small volume, niche cars.

On the odd occasions you see them out and about, they look so similar to FW's that you don't really notice them. AFAIK, from the outside, it's only really the scuttle and the rear of the tub that are subtly different. Obviously, from inside, the different dash stands out a mile.