Boats

TAFKARM

Anyone noticed how people always wave on boats - boat to boat, boat to shore and vice versa, but not on any other form of transport?

Kit cars wave at each other (up here anyway) as do bikers (mostly)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Kit cars wave at each other (up here anyway) as do bikers (mostly)

Yeah bikers seem to wherever they are, most kit car owners do, that I've seen, a few classic British sports car owners will, but interestingly, MG owners seem more inclined to wave than say, Morgan owners.

interestingly, (or not), back in the aeroscreened days, I used to find bikers would wave occasionally to.

When I was a yoof.. long time ago, ..roaring around in my Triumph Spitfire.. other Spitfire pilots always flashed lights and waved. 

10 minutes ago, XTR2Turbo said:

Image result for landrover defender wave

As a driver of a defender, I can confirm this is true. Perhaps it's because driving a defender is the closest you can get to driving a boat on the road. Mine certainly has the turning circle of an oil tanker...

4 minutes ago, Nick Mace said:

As a driver of a defender, I can confirm this is true. Perhaps it's because driving a defender is the closest you can get to driving a boat on the road. Mine certainly has the turning circle of an oil tanker...

I can second this...

when I had my 1st Impreza in the 90's everyone used to wave :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

interestingly, (or not), back in the aeroscreened days, I used to find bikers would wave occasionally to.

I do get the occasional "nod" from passing bikers - might be due to me always wearing a lid so they may feel a bit of affinity :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I do get the occasional "nod" from passing bikers - might be due to me always wearing a lid so they may feel a bit of affinity :)

Yeah, I should have mentioned, I pretty much always wore a lid with the aeroscreen, and you're right, only ever really happened when I was lidded.

Motorhome owners wave a each other as they pass as well

I can remember back in the day when the AA man used to salute you from his Combo as he passed by .

If your on a boat and you meet any RN vessel it is good etiquette  to "dip the ensign "  (salute the flag ) 

The RN vessel is duty bound to return the salute by sending a crew member forward to dip there ensign in return :t-up:

maybe that was the origin of the friendly wave  :t-up:

4 hours ago, Northwarks said:

when I had my 1st Impreza in the 90's everyone used to wave :rolleyes:

They still do. I normally get a wave in my impreza from other owners and alway wave myself.

It's a done thing on the road around where I'm from back in Ireland.  Confused the hell out of people when I first moved over here and kept waving at them!

I always waved when I had the MG, sometimes get one from Alfa drivers too and also from classic cars when I'm out in the Westfield.