Tyres

Wolfdog

On 19/07/2017 at 08:31, RussH said:

I'm a big fan of Nankang NS2R...

Same here and they seem to be wearing well I went for the medium compound

On 19/07/2017 at 08:18, bunje said:

i personnally feel the r888r is too much for the road. in the sense that you cant get the heat in them but there great on track. ive never tried r1rs but they get good all round reviews and will last longer than r888r but if you want r888r @sdh2903 are a really good buy.

Thankyou :sun:

• Like 1

Left-field vote: good quality road tyres, such as Michelin Pilot Sports, Continental Premium Contact, etc.

I've recently fitted a set of Conti Eco Contact 3s to my car and loving them. Plenty of grip (only around 2.5s a lap slower round Blyton than 888s), more comfortable, cheaper, better in the rain, more progressive when they do let go. Lots of benefits... :)

• Like 3

As Adam said

There's a lot to like about predictability and progressive handling of a slightly harder tyre. And definitely the best route to learning to drive hard.

My early years of Westfielding were on Toyo T1R's and I don't regret any of them. And I am sure I can drive the R1Rs (and Sprint soft ZZRs) harder because of it.

• Like 2

Speak to Luke at Plays-Kool Motorsport as well, he had some good prices as well.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2017 at 18:06, AdamR said:

Left-field vote: good quality road tyres, such as Michelin Pilot Sports, Continental Premium Contact, etc.

I've recently fitted a set of Conti Eco Contact 3s to my car and loving them. Plenty of grip (only around 2.5s a lap slower round Blyton than 888s), more comfortable, cheaper, better in the rain, more progressive when they do let go. Lots of benefits... :)

Got caught out on the commute this morning... Lots of deep puddles and standing water. Absolutely no concerns of sudden traction loss or aquaplaning. Lots of sideways action. What's not to like? :t-up:

I know this will be a controversial point of view but there is an 'enough is enough' rule that I would take into account.

It is said 180bhp is enough for a Westfield and I would agree. I worry about going too fast 'just because I can'. I'll just get to the accident quicker and it will be a bigger accident too. I feel the same about tyres. For normal dry road use, the R888s have more grip than I need (and in the wet a bit less). If all I wanted to do is lower my lap times at Caldwell in the dry then R888s would be my choice - but I don't. My T1Rs do not grip anything like as well as hot R888s in the dry but they are predictable and fun! Same is true in the wet and they are about £45 a corner as against £120+ and are showing very little wear.

The choice is yours!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Rory's Dad said:

I know this will be a controversial point of view but there is an 'enough is enough' rule that I would take into account.

It is said 180bhp is enough for a Westfield and I would agree. I worry about going too fast 'just because I can'. I'll just get to the accident quicker and it will be a bigger accident too. I feel the same about tyres. For normal dry road use, the R888s have more grip than I need (and in the wet a bit less). If all I wanted to do is lower my lap times at Caldwell in the dry then R888s would be my choice - but I don't. My T1Rs do not grip anything like as well as hot R888s in the dry but they are predictable and fun! Same is true in the wet and they are about £45 a corner as against £120+ and are showing very little wear.

The choice is yours!

Well I agree with you Martin. I had T1Rs for years and were fine on road and on track days. Good progressive predictable fun!

Only have R1Rs as main tyre for better sprinting times combined with everyday use and current driving to and back from track in Westie.

• Like 2