Tyres

Wolfdog

After some advise please.... New tyres needed but cant decide on wether to get the toyo r1r or r888r?

R1R seem to be great "all-rounder" in that they give you a little forgiveness in the wet whereas r888r give phenomenal dry weather grip.

Depends what type of,and in which weather you intend to do most, driving.

Afraid you pays your money and takes your choice

• Like 1

mostly driving in the dry i hope. but planning a long drive into europe so think i'll go for the r1r. Tread patten looks better on the r1r too i think.

10 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

R1R seem to be great "all-rounder" in that they give you a little forgiveness in the wet whereas r888r give phenomenal dry weather grip.

Depends what type of,and in which weather you intend to do most, driving.

Afraid you pays your money and takes your choice

• Like 1

Just now, Wolfdog said:

mostly driving in the dry i hope. but planning a long drive into europe so think i'll go for the r1r. Tread patten looks better on the r1r too i think.

plus dont mind paying the money as i want to keep her between the green bits:d

i personnally feel the r888r is too much for the road. in the sense that you cant get the heat in them but there great on track. ive never tried r1rs but they get good all round reviews and will last longer than r888r but if you want r888r @sdh2903 are a really good buy.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Nankang NS2R...

13 minutes ago, bunje said:

i personnally feel the r888r is too much for the road. in the sense that you cant get the heat in them but there great on track. ive never tried r1rs but they get good all round reviews and will last longer than r888r but if you want r888r @sdh2903 are a really good buy.

I've used R1Rs for last couple of years in everything from 30+ blazing heat to -ve icy and dry sticky roads to torrential rain with standing water, both on track and off, and would commend them as being one of the best all round tyres.

One word of caution for those doing long distance touring that use softer/sticky trackday tyres like R888R's, Yokohama AO48's etc; it's not a problem necessarily if you're just bimbling along, but I know of a few (Caterham) owners who've got caught out doing the European Alpine Pass tours, where you're driving quite briskly on the passes and easily racking up a journey of a few thousand miles. They've litterally hit the tread wear limits whilst up in the mountains, and been stuck with illegally "bald" tyres, in both the cases that I'm aware of, they ended up having to get tyres shipped to the nearest garage and had to get them change over locally before they could carry on!!

So if using semi slicks on a long distance trip, where you know there will be some aggressive driving, do please make sure you've got plenty of life in them before you set out. :yes:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RussH said:

I'm a big fan of Nankang NS2R...

Yup happy with mine 

I have r1r's in my road wheels and r888r on my track day wheels.    Early in the year I used the r1r's at silverstone and they lost a lot of tread and each block of tread is now warn tapered.      I used the r888r tyres at curborough a while back and left them on for the road as I have found them very good on the road and supprisingly good when it's damp.   Standing water I'm sure they would be poor as the water has no escape.    Very sticky even my wheel dollies stick to them after a few days 

IMG_0290.thumb.JPG.c855a540da78ea49eec2a4435b8ef974.JPG

• Like 1

Be intersted on where you get the best deal from, as that's in my immediate future

• Like 1

For r1r best prices at present are from demon tweeks/jjc race and rally. 

Camskill are competitive at 195 50 15 but didn't have stock of 205 50 15.

What our esteemed and wise Secretary said basically. R1R over 888s if you are on the road. 888s and similar just won't do the job on a long trip or in less than favorable conditions.

• Like 1