Back at Lydden

davidgh

Great to be back at the wonderful Lydden Hill yesterday, courtesy of Borough 19, Sevenoaks, Tunbridge Wells and Maidstone/Mid-Kent clubs in consortium.

Five SS competitors present, and a total of ten Se7en drivers.

SS round next year? Yes, it's a long way from the Midlands and Yorkshire, but we do have members in the South East!

Just to remind you what sort of a circuit it is:  Chris at Lydden

Yes, great circuit and would like to go back again some time.

I even hear that circuit owner Pat Doran was competing in his RS200 :cool:

He was Mark.

Though.........

I assume no marshal had the inclination to tell him about noise limits :p

David

Glad you enjoyed it!

I tried to get the SS back there this year but could not get it across the line!

Must do better for 2018!

C U @ Hethel

BR

G

I'd vote to go back there David but I'd like to see it as a two day event. Just too far for one day for me but I'm sure it would be well supported even as a one day event. 

Although I've heard that it was one practice of 2.75 Laps and only two of the three timed would count. All done by 4:30 with enough time for another run.

I understand Pat Moran made a comment at the awards that he was surprised you wernt still racing ! 

All correct Mark.

B19 really must learn to write regs to allow for a "minimum" of two timed runway!

Got the following back from the redoubtable Mr. Grimes:

Hi David

This matter is already under discussion. When the regs were written for this weekend's event they were taken from the old SEMSEC regs which ran the event on a Saturday morning before a race meeting. The proposal for next year is one practice and 4 timed runs time, weather permitting. 

A number of competitors have raised this issue  and is certainly something we need to resolve. Without wishing to cast any blame, the regs were written by committee and I do not think any one club or person took this by the scruff of the neck!

As ever many thanks for your input and liaison with other competitors

Regards

RCG

I don't see the problem, I was quite happy with the 2 timed runs so none of you could "officially" beat my time :p.

Just kidding, it is frustrating that we managed to get in 1 x 2.75 lap practice, 2 x 1.75 lap official timed runs and 1 x 1.75 lap fun run and still be done by 4:30 we should have had 3 official timed runs and a 4th fun run.

Personally I'd prefer that the practice was two separate runs rather than a 1 x 2.75lap and by my bad maths that means we missed out on .75 of a practice lap!

But was a great days racing, and a very challenging track which needs a lot laps in order get it right.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) - Joint Essex AO said:

Yes, great circuit and would like to go back again some time.

I even hear that circuit owner Pat Doran was competing in his RS200 :cool:

The kits  --  except for Stephen Laing, who chose to avoid us proles and park with his committee colleagues :d

Lydden Kits 2017.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davidgh said:

Well at least if the circuit get noise complaints in the future they've only got themselves to blame for it :oops:

looks like the 925Bhp monster that he raced up Pike Peek :o

Interestingly, the front bodywork is stitched together very much in the same way as Maurici repaired his wing at Blyton.

is it the car that lost its front at Goodwood FOS a few weeks ago?

7 minutes ago, XTR2Turbo said:

is it the car that lost its front at Goodwood FOS a few weeks ago?

No that was his old Q8 Oils rallycross car.  I think he feels more comfortable on the grass :d

IIRC he crashed at Pikes Peek on more than one of his practice and timed runs and it was subsequently rebuilt again several times on the mountain.