Cheap and good detailing stuff thread

Thrustyjust

Do you use crunchy to fill in any chips?

23 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

such as Gtechnic C5 is good in reviews

Very good. Coated the new volvo wheels 2 years ..never relocated.... still only needs a jet wash and a sponge to remove brake dust.

Nothing 'burnt on' the wheel that needs aggressive  wheel cleaner to remove it

7 hours ago, AdgeC said:

For the uninitiated (me!), you're talking final polish finish, with minimal if any abrasive properties. Is my understanding correct?

So the surface preparation, smooth and scratch free is done prior to this? or am I getting confused as usual?

Yes it's all in the prep. Firstly you need to polish out any swirls/imperfections/scratches. The likes of autoglym super resin polish are ok but it doesn't remove the imperfections it fills or hides them with fillers so doesn't last.

I prefer to polish out the imperfections as it makes it much easier to maintain the finish. I use and highly reccomend the meguiars 105 and 205 polishes. The 105 is the coarser cut and the 205 is then the finishing polish. They are so easy to use but do require a machine polisher.

This then provides a clean polished surface but does require protecting with a wax for longevity. This is where the collinite 476 comes in. 2 coats will last a full summer's splatting in flies.

The stuff thrustys reccomending is a final final spray on wipe off sealant to maintain the protection of the wax when you've given it a wash and dried off.

This was my nose before polish/wax if you look at the enlarged pic you can see the horrendous swirling.

20170427_142909-1280x720.thumb.jpg.60c7ece1671d2534c8a2510fbd589931.jpg

This is after. It's still not perfect as I only gave it a quick wizz over.

20170427_151526-1280x720.thumb.jpg.2b62a9e6f7a74694817d90523c408abd.jpg

For cleaning wheels I can also highly reccomend bilberry wheel cleaner.

42 minutes ago, Sparkymart said:

:yes:.so who is going to be first to cover their Westy in peanut butter .....

Crunchy or smooth ?

39 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Do you use crunchy to fill in any chips?

I'd love to see the flies and wasps circling when someone tries it!!

• Like 2

I would recommend the das6 pro rotary with the meguairs microfiber pads and associated compounds then finish with purple haze or natty blue... Works a treat 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparkymart said:

:yes:.so who is going to be first to cover their Westy in peanut butter .....

Crunchy or smooth ?

Whatever is in the cupboard Mart :laugh:. I told you it was a budget thread :t-up:

4 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

Yes it's all in the prep. Firstly you need to polish out any swirls/imperfections/scratches. The likes of autoglym super resin polish are ok but it doesn't remove the imperfections it fills or hides them with fillers so doesn't last.

I prefer to polish out the imperfections as it makes it much easier to maintain the finish. I use and highly reccomend the meguiars 105 and 205 polishes. The 105 is the coarser cut and the 205 is then the finishing polish. They are so easy to use but do require a machine polisher.

This then provides a clean polished surface but does require protecting with a wax for longevity. This is where the collinite 476 comes in. 2 coats will last a full summer's splatting in flies.

The stuff thrustys reccomending is a final final spray on wipe off sealant to maintain the protection of the wax when you've given it a wash and dried off.

This was my nose before polish/wax if you look at the enlarged pic you can see the horrendous swirling

Thanks for this, really useful information. I'll need to be doing some working on my bodywork, when the build is complete.

@Thrustyjust great idea for a thread well done.

Some interesting contributions, please keep the information coming all.

I gave mine a detail last year with my DA and was amazed how much it brought out the colour. The GRP is nothing like normal car paint and dulls way more. 

For wax, I'm a big fan of Victoria wax concours. For sealant finishkare 1000p high temp wax is the best I've used. Amazing shine and last for an impressive amount of time. 

A mate of mine has has been playing about with ceramic sealants, bit of a pain to apply but the results are crazy good!!!

Im in the market for a new drying cloth, recommendations?

IMG_5565.JPG

• Like 2

Blooming heck....cannot believe that picture Chris. 

Looks amazing. 

For cheap microfibres, then I buy Screwfix bulk ones. Ideal for other jobs in the house too. I have 2 lidded containers and keep one for clean and one for dirty and every now and then its like a chinese laundry here when they get washed . Saves getting them mixed up and also washing a few at a time. 

http://www.screwfix.com/p/microfibre-cloth-blue-50-pack/62624

10 hours ago, chris parkin said:

I gave mine a detail last year with my DA and was amazed how much it brought out the colour. The GRP is nothing like normal car paint and dulls way more. 

For wax, I'm a big fan of Victoria wax concours. For sealant finishkare 1000p high temp wax is the best I've used. Amazing shine and last for an impressive amount of time. 

A mate of mine has has been playing about with ceramic sealants, bit of a pain to apply but the results are crazy good!!!

Im in the market for a new drying cloth, recommendations?

IMG_5565.JPG

This doesn't look like a budget job...try again with the peanut butter...:getmecoat:

• Like 1

Interesting thread , no one yet has mentioned  Cow or Seagull S*** removers / repelants , any recommends ?

Also, forgot to mention Iron X. What a product! For those small rust spots that you get on your car, also great on wheels and removing tar. There are a few other examples out there but I can only comment on this product. Just remember to take it off with water afterwards!

1 hour ago, chris parkin said:

Also, forgot to mention Iron X. What a product! For those small rust spots that you get on your car, also great on wheels and removing tar. There are a few other examples out there but I can only comment on this product. Just remember to take it off with water afterwards!

And don't smell it........

• Like 2