Handbrake light coming on .

Weekend Warrior

There was some black grime on some of the pipe work but gave it a wipe and is dry. Would it leak all the time or only when under pressure 

probably only under pressure unless it's a really bad leak, but that should be easy to check. just wedge your brake pedal down with a lump of wood and see if you have a puddle of fluid anywhere in the morning...

If it's only a tiny weep then really only under pressure.

Ive also seen the floats in the Master Cylinder caps get tempremental before now, though only on the standard MC's. I had to take mine off on the last car and thoroughly clean it out - a thankless job, as it holds more brake fluid than you think, trapped in it's chambers. After a good clean out, and a re-top up of the reservoir, it worked fine again, without random flickering of the warning light.

41 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

probably only under pressure unless it's a really bad leak, but that should be easy to check. just wedge your brake pedal down with a lump of wood and see if you have a puddle of fluid anywhere in the morning...

I will give that a go then and let you know how I get on so far I can't see anything and have felt all the pipes from front to back. I think it just needs a little too up, the owner said it has always done it. But it's better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Chris cooper

I have left a white towel under the car ( the  other half was not happy ) all night with the brake wedged on,no leaks felt all the pipes front to back no oil anywhere. So topped it up, it did only take about 3 teaspoons and hey presto the light has gone off. Thank you chaps for all the advice. :yes:

Great News Chris, well done.

• Like 1

It's always done it for me Chris most annoying I know but i knew there was nothing wrong with brakes or anything 

I wouldn't of sold it like that pal 

all the best pal

3 hours ago, The Cheese said:

It's always done it for me Chris most annoying I know but i knew there was nothing wrong with brakes or anything 

I wouldn't of sold it like that pal 

all the best pal

I know I was just checking for peace of mind really. And thanks for leaving a comment.