Handbrake light coming on .

Weekend Warrior

43 minutes ago, Ianboom said:

Hi

If you put your location on your profile, there may be somebody close to you who will come and check your brakes over and show you how to check them yourself.

Well done for getting this far if you're pants a mechanics!

Done eventually ,not that savvy with computers either .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all my handbrake light comes on but only when going down hill any ideas 

3 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Hi all my handbrake light comes on but only when going down hill any ideas 

Low brake fluid!

the light doubles as a warning light.

1 minute ago, Sycho said:

Low brake fluid!

the light doubles as a warning light.

I agree.

I'd check for leaks just in case.

How much should be in as cant see min max mark also how do I get the top off it has a yellow tap on it which prevents me from twisting the top all the way round. I am not very  mechanically minded sorry :down:

Edited by Chris cooper

You should be able to turn the outer part of the lid whilst holding the centre part still?

sorry about that it's been a very long day :getmecoat:

Once you get the cap off just put a tiny amount of brake fluid in at a time. It won't take much to top it up if that's what's needed.

Don't worry Chris,  I like you know sod all about the workings of an engine but I managed ,just top it up and leave it about 20 mm below the top of the main body of the reservoir .

follow the copper pipes from the reservoir all the way to the brake callipers and check all the joints are dry and there are no leaks (damp or oily patches ) If so you have a leak and have a problem that can be fixed so park it up and get it looked at 

I think that's sound advice but as said I'm still learning ,I topped mine up and all is well not gone down since Unlike my everyday road car I check my fluid levels on the Westie before every  trip better safe than sorry .

hope you enjoy your car as much as I do

Steve

6 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Once you get the cap off just put a tiny amount of brake fluid in at a time. It won't take much to top it up if that's what's needed.

Ok will do. I have checked for leaks but couldn't see any is there a more likely place for there to be a leak 

3 minutes ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Don't worry Chris,  I like you know sod all about the workings of an engine but I managed ,just top it up and leave it about 20 mm below the top of the main body of the reservoir .

follow the copper pipes from the reservoir all the way to the brake callipers and check all the joints are dry and there are no leaks (damp or oily patches ) If so you have a leak and have a problem that can be fixed so park it up and get it looked at 

I think that's sound advice but as said I'm still learning ,I topped mine up and all is well not gone down since Unlike my everyday road car I check my fluid levels on the Westie before every  trip better safe than sorry .

hope you enjoy your car as much as I do

Steve

Thanks I absolutely love it can't get enough. 

The other thing you should check or get checked is the thickness of the disc brake pads. The fluid level will go down as they wear and you don't want to be running out of disc pads.

• Like 1

The fluid level will drop as the brake pads wear,so fingers crossed that's all it is :)

Hmm I will check tomorrow I did have a little bit of break squeal