Handbrake light coming on .

Weekend Warrior

Whilst on overrun my handbrake light flickers and then stays on ,when accelerating away it goes off ,any ideas as to why?

Steve

Is it also your low brake fluid warning light perhaps? Depending on the shape of the reservoir it could be low fluid causing that. 

• Like 2

Yes as the guys say check the fluid or the 2 wires that run to the level sensor...

• Like 1

Ok being a total non mechanically minded driver but learning every day ,if it's low I just top up pour in and put cap back on ,or wiggle wires  and check connection ,simple as that .

I will check tomorrow if low is all brake fluid the same .

• Like 1

Why is it low is the first thing to ask. Brakes worn ? Fluid leak ? Would check its none of those before putting more in.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Why is it low is the first thing to ask. Brakes worn ? Fluid leak ? Would check its none of those before putting more in.

Ok fluid leak would be visible I guess so can check for that,

discs are good almost new ,pads changed 3000 miles ago by previous owner,just had MOT 

they would have checked pads presumably ?

Sensible to check rather than just putting some fluid in there and find out in an inopportune moment its all gone and you have no brakes. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Ok fluid leak would be visible I guess so can check for that,

discs are good almost new ,pads changed 3000 miles ago by previous owner,just had MOT 

they would have checked pads presumably ?

You would have been on the brake pedal all the time to wear the pads out in 3k miles. It maybe all fine and the previous owner changed the pads and retracted the caliper pistons and pushed the fluid out the master cylinder and then when the pedal was pressed to set the pads near the discs, it used a lot of the fluid in the reservoir. But it safety sake thing to double check its all sound at the fittings first.

• Like 1

I had something similar and it turned out to be a simple fix. Warning light was flickering at random, then a fuse blew. Turned out the metal bezel on the back of the light that holds it to the dash has unscrewed itself and was sitting across the 2 terminals, so had shorted out. Frustrating but straightforward once I found it.

Matt

Check your handbrake switch as well.  It will be underneath the gaiter.

15 hours ago, Weekend Warrior said:

Whilst on overrun my handbrake light flickers and then stays on ,when accelerating away it goes off ,any ideas as to why?

Steve

Are you sure its not the other red light which is the battery light as your symptoms would suggest alternator not charging battery

I recently replaced my handbrake gaiter and there was a little extra material which I didn't trim away. This caused the gaiter & it's metal surround to raise slightly higher than before and it caused my light to go on and off likes yours is doing. 

Trimmed the extra material away and it's now back to it's correct position. Light is also back to normal.

Thank for all the helpful replies ,

found the brake fluid reservoir eventually had to follow brake pipes back ,whoever decided to tuck it away down in there wants a kick in the hole !

checked the wires to the lid all ok did an old contortionist trick ,eventually got the lid off and realised that there was indeed a float level sensor and that the fluid was near the bottom .

not a hope in hell to see a max min level mark so put some in leaving it 3 cm or so from top .

Believe it or not before I had the car and you helpful lot to ask I'd have probably taken it to the garage ,who no doubt would have checked through your list of answers until they found the fault and charged me a tidy sum for the privilege.

Thanks again 

Steve 

Hi

If you put your location on your profile, there may be somebody close to you who will come and check your brakes over and show you how to check them yourself.

Well done for getting this far if you're pants a mechanics!