Cables or WiFi..?

John K

5 minutes ago, Blatman said:

70MB/s is 560Mb/s which is pretty good.

So if I get a rock solid 90MBps from the NAS to the media PC (which my by maths is 720Mbps at approx x8) I should be happy and leave things be..?

Yup, don't touch it. That's really good.

I get involved with projects where media is streamed across wired networks alongside voice (VoIP) and people go nuts thinking they need massive speed. They don't. Can't remember the figures right now but an un-compressed 3D or 1080P stream needs about 50Mb/s, or 1/20th the capacity of a 1Gb switch interface. Even cheap switches should be able to shift that without issue and indeed my ancient 1Gb un-managed 8 port switch has been doing this for about 5 years now. 

For transferring large files between servers/hosts (CAD drawings, movie files, large format TIFF/GIF/RAW pics, medical files like MRI scans etc) yes, massive speed is needed, along with good quality switches, cables and RJ45's.

Hi got the units wrong its 70 MB/s was over WiFi, and 126 MB/s when wired (cable is 3m cat 6). These are numbers win 10 gives in the transfer window.

On 2017-7-28 at 18:22, johngill said:

Hi got the units wrong its 70 MB/s was over WiFi, and 126 MB/s when wired (cable is 3m cat 6). These are numbers win 10 gives in the transfer window.

Damn, my setup was fast, for a while... much respect to those figures...