No Claims Bonus following a Company Car

BillyPee

My employer as closed the company car scheme and so my current company car will be the last.

I heard from a colleague, that has just gone from a company car to a private car, that they were ineligible for No Claims Bonus, even though they had no claims, because company car insurance doesn't count for NCB. It wasn't just one insurer, but the same at those he tried getting quotes from I wondered if anyone here has had similar experience?

Even if this is the case, would I not be able to keep the NCB I had before I joined the company car scheme or does that not count after a period of time (it'd be about 6 years)? Surely the insurers would still have my details on record.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Yes that's true, and IIRC your NCB expires after a time.

Can you use the NCB from the westie, and insure the westie with 0 NCB?

• Like 1

Some insurance companies give a discount for having a company car for years without incident. I lost my no claims due to the 2 years non-use for the years I had. I got 2 years free from somewhere, when I ditched the company car, so that helped. cant remember who, someone like Direct Line. 

• Like 1

Happened to me when I retired 4 years ago. Company gave me a letter certifying that I had been accident free for however long it was. Direct Line accepted that for NCB.

• Like 1

You need to speak to an insurance broker.   Try A plan for starters and they will arrange something direct with the underwriters.

• Like 1

I was able to get a letter from the leasing company for the car scheme stating "x" years accident free and was able to get a discounted quote from a broker.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems that there are ways to get around this problem then. I will ask for a letter when the time comes and use a broker or Direct Line.

Try A Plan who will help and give you advice

• Like 1