The Machinist

The Machinist

Hi Guys

I am a relatively new member, (joined last month). I bought a Westfield 2.0 SEi  with pinto power from a guy in Mansfield way back in Feb 2015, which turned out to be an absolute dog! (seriously damaged chassis making it totally unroadworthy!) It has sat in my garage since then vegetating, however I have now bitten the bullet and ordered a new starter kit from Westfield which I will be collecting this week, so a brief history of where I am at the moment. 

I have been replying to various adverts in the 'parts for sale' showing interest and attempting to purchase items advertised by sending a message to the advertiser, but apart from once, where I purchased a MSA rollbar, have not had any responses, and parts have remained for sale and then sold to someone else, am I doing something wrong? I am clicking on the sellers title and then clicking on send message, but am having no responses so am probably no going through the right procedure, could someone point me in the right direction?.

Sounds to me like your doing it correctly.

Maybe there inbox is full?

Try posting a "pm sent" message on the advert so whoevers selling knows to check there messages

5 minutes ago, chriss1455 said:

Sounds to me like your doing it correctly.

Maybe there inbox is full?

Try posting a "pm sent" message on the advert so whoevers selling knows to check there messages

As Chris says, put a note on the thread that you have sent a message, as it seems to be the first person who shouts up on the thread that is seen as the first to show an interest and gets first dibs!

Posted a similar response on a recent sales thread!

First off, things do go wrong occasionally, we're all Human, well mainly..

And sometimes, for whatever reason, people don't follow the norms of net-etiquette.

But, for the rest of us :d

For buyers, (assuming you don't have lots of questions and just want to buy)

Always use a two pronged approach, post immediately in the thread, either saying you would like to purchase the item, and that you will send a PM immediately to sort out the details of the sale. OR, that you would like to buy, but it's conditional on X. Again, send a PM to accompany the post. Near in mind though a couple of things when you make the sale conditional on something; if "X" is simply a case of the seller measuring the width of a part so that you can check it fits, that's reasonable. It may, for quite legitimate reasons not be possible for the seller to do so - they may work away from home during the week etc. For this reason, do not assume the seller is happy to go with this condition unless they say so. They may just read to the next post, where someone says that they'll have the part regardless and sell to them. That's fine, it's their choice.

If on the other hand you ask something much vaguer, like I'd like to but your doodad, but will it fit my 2011 Mega Whatsit Turbo V12? Then do not be offended if you get no reply and the seller moves to the next offer. Remember, fro every seller that really knows Westfields and what parts will work elsewhere there are dozens that have no better idea that you. It's your job to do the research to see if the part will fit. The most you can ask is if they will hold a part for a short period while you check. And be fair, say "can you give me 24 hours to check" don't leave them hanging for days.

Once posted and PM'd keep an eye on the thread, if you see them post again, and you've heard nothing, re post and re PM, politely asking if they got your previous message. Keep in mind that inboxes can very quickly fill on a popular item, especially if people ask questions by pm.

Likewise, click on the sellers little avatar picture. On the profile page that pops up, under their display name it says when they last visited the Boardroom. Check this, if they've visited since you PM'd and you've heard nothing, assume they didn't get it, or didn't see it. Again, post in the sales thread.

Sellers: out of common courtesy, we have an obligation to check our sales threads and our PM inboxed regularly. Clearing out old PM's as necessary. If outside life/work intervenes and you find yourself with a live ad, suddenly having to go away etc, where you will have on Internet access, pop a post up on the thread to say as much and give a rough idea when you will next be able to check in on things.

One thing to note though, items are often for sale elsewhere, and it's not uncommon for sellers friends, local club members etc to spread the news about the item for sale, and for people to then contact directly, without even seeing the forum advert. It happens, as a buyer, it's annoying, but it's just life.

And lastly, sorry to sound like a grumpy old fart, but enough already with "dibs", since the expression suddenly started being used  in sales threads, it's caused lots of confusion about whether items were sold or not, and to whom. Leave it in the playgorund where it belongs. :d

• Like 2

Maybe a reminder on the do's and don't for forum might help some and maybe save having to remind on every post....anyway sure someone comment back...

Sorry to hear about your purchase Machinist, but glad to hear your sticking with it and getting a starter kit...we like to see photos and hopefully you will get it on the road shortly and enjoy the fruits of your labour...:)

You're not the only one that has trouble buying parts.  The good parts sell in minutes,  as I have found out, I even sold some brake calipers myself in 40mins.