Broken down - Spun bearing

Quinten

55 minutes ago, Kevin (Mr T) - Joint Essex AO said:

Couldn't someone get a message to him that the offer to help is there?

It might give him a bit of a lift. 

A very good point, when I realised Mr Grumpy was beyond my ability to save, I went into a blue funk for several months and sulked (you remember, the time known as "The Sensible Era" on the forum)

Then when you realise how many enthusiastic friends and saviors are here, it was a massive lift.

Also we need to be mindful it sounds like The Big Q is going to potentially be having other changes in his life soon and at this time the Westie is just one more burden, not the boost we know they can be.

Perhaps a very gentle IM nudge to say "The idiots are here if you need us..." and then give him some time to think about it

The night I am out to fulfil my duties as AO, it all kicks off...  who picked a pub with no 3G reception?!? :getmecoat:

You guys are the best!  I will shortly set up a Just Giving page and I will only need a regular contribution from all members until I turn 55 when I can dip in the pension fund :p

No seriously, I'm really flattered with all the responses, the WSCC is the best club, with the bestest members :yes:

So last night was our monthly meet and some new options came forward, one of them being a hydraulic fuel lock caused by a stuck open injector.  @black st once again kindly offered to pop round with his tools and expertise, so I will keep the thread updated with our findings and am keeping my fingers crossed that it is that, and not bottom end...

9 hours ago, KennyP said:

I offered him a complete working zetec 1.8 in this thread and didn't even get an acknowledgement never mind a reply.

Hi Kenny, I did note your offer, and also the comments that it needs some further modifications to get it working.  I'm no mechanic (looks are deceiving) so it would have not been my first choice.  I'm grateful for each and every response that has been given, that's what makes me so proud to be part of this club :t-up:

• Like 3

Hoi Quinten, we voelen allemaal met je mee toen we hoorden van je motor. We zijn hier om je te helpen als je ons nodig hebt. Veel succes met snel terugkeren op de weg. En we beloven plechtig nooit te vermelden hoe “bom-proof” de oude Xflow was.

And this was translated by my Dutch boss - who has a strange sense of humor - so if I've just told you to go **** yourself, not my fault honest..!

• Like 1

Lmao John, my first thought was how good Google Translate is these days until you said about your boss :yes:  If he ever is in the Northants area, I've got some Stroopwafels for him :laugh:

Must say, Google translate did a remarkable job of translating it back!

Hope you get resolved Q, after all the hard work put in, it's a damn shame when Satan farts in your face, yet again!

I'm not that far away (Milton keynes) if you want someone to come over and have a poke at it one evening.  Time is always tight for me between work, family and westfield! but i'm happy to call in one evening.   

Even if it is the worse case of a big end gone it could be repairable with new shells and maybe a re-grind.   I would be concerned to why it had happened.     How did you decided on the correct amount of oil in the engine?.   If its some sort of shortened sump it probably holds less than standard and the required oil level may not be duely represented on the dipstick.   

Quinten, take the plugs out and spin with a spanner on the crank pulley. It should turn over smoothly. If its stuck or very stiff then its probably not an injector etc. Keep the faith with it. I would also, with the sump off, check baffling and also pour 5 ltrs of water in it to see if there is enough space for it. Then when you put it back together , put 5ltrs of oil in it and check the levels on the dipstick tally up. . that way you can ascertain the oil levels are good.

Small update.  Earlier this week I took the plugs out and turned the crank using a spanner and could feel no obstruction.  Used a syringe and some tubing to see it there was any fluids inside the chambers, but they were all bone dry.  That's where I left it until Paul came round today with a compression test kit and we noted the following numbers

1 = 100psi
2 = 50psi
3 = 40psi
4 = 70psi

As it is +30C in the shade we went through the next steps with a cold beer in our hands and after that shut the garage door again.  Need to take exhaust and intake manifolds off, etc so I can remove the head.  More fun(!) later this week...

Did you take compression tests with cranking on the starter ? Was there any oil pressure showing? Silvertop engines use hydraulic followers, so they may have pumped down with lack of oil pressure.

Yes, cranking the starter and ITBs on WOT.  Oil pressure was not checked, I only have a led indicator anyway.

42 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

Yes, cranking the starter and ITBs on WOT.  Oil pressure was not checked, I only have a led indicator anyway.

No oil pressure gauge? Perhaps you've had lower oil pressure than you should for a while and a slow demise?

Before removing the head can you borrow a cylinder leakage tester. This will then let you know where the pressure is going rather than looking and if not obvious guessing. Could send you mine if you can't borrow one locally. John

I'm sure you did....   but you remembered to hold the throttle open while doing the compression test didn't you? The readings can be artificially low on shut throttle plates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kernow said:

Before removing the head can you borrow a cylinder leakage tester. This will then let you know where the pressure is going rather than looking and if not obvious guessing. Could send you mine if you can't borrow one locally. John

Hi John, that's a very kind offer :yes:  I'll check with my friendly mechanic (aka @black st ;) ) and see if we can find one locally first.

@KennyP: yes, we had the ITBs at WOT.

@darve: could all be possible.