North Coast 500 / Scotland Blat

Andy_R

My kids and the better half have given me a week (9th to 16th August) in the summer holidays to disappear on an extended blat!

I was thinking of travelling up to Scotland and the North Coast 500 came to mind.

However before getting invested in this option I wanted to know if it's worth it and whether I should stick to the recommendations made on the NC500 website ... or just make my own route/arrangements?

Also are there any Westfield group meets around that time ... or just anyone who wants to meet up to admire cars and enjoy a pint?

ADMIN: Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Just got back from the area and can say that there are some utterly amazing roads up there!

We didn't do "the route" but had a great time regardless. 

Just do it.

• Like 1

If you decide to go for it get your accommodation booked as it's getting very popular in the summer now.

• Like 1

Well worth it, but as said accomodation will be the difficulty so may be easier to plan overnights slightly off route.

If you work out rough areas you'll be stopping in I'm sure there's enough of us on here with experience to sugest good B&B options.

• Like 1

If it was me and you had a week only, I would avoid the east coast as it is certainly no way as spectacular as the west.

I would concentrate on the area going up from Glencoe, to Durness and also the Isle of Skye.

You wont go wrong on any of the roads around there.

• Like 2

Sounds like very good advise guys and thanks for the comments.

I've travelled in a Disco (with roof tent) up to Fort William before (visiting Arran on the way) and completely agree that the West coast is incredible. Having downloaded the NC500 map I think you are right that the best routes are going to be the East with the limited time I have.

Will start working on the route this week and will try and pin down accommodation.

I really want to rough camp (near a beach or something) but not sure if that is viable in a Westfield? 

Glenetive is great for wild camping.

Not done it myself but always wild campers down there and because of them I always wanted to try it myself.

Loads of waterfalls and a river to bathe in.

The roads is a dead end but there is a beach of sorts at the bottom when the tide is out.

• Like 1

As a non-Scot, married to a Scot, and living in Scotland, I've seen more of Scotland than most Scots! We've toured every corner of Scotland, mainland and the Isles, on motorbike, car and camper, and there's not many single-track dead-ends we haven't stuck our nose up for a look-see. Of the big chunks, there's only Shetland we haven't visited.

But that's always the way - as a New Zealander, who has done plenty of motorbike touring in NZ, I'd never been further south than Christchurch 'til I started taking my wife back home on holidays every couple of years.

Two day trips out from Fort William may interest you - the shorter is the road out to Mallaig, the longer is the road out to the remote Ardnamurchan Point, the most westerly point of mainland Britain.

Or, once you've got to Mallaig, catch the ferry to the bottom of Skye for a loop of the island, then carry on north via Applecross and Ullapool to Dunnet Head, the most northernly point of the mainland (John o' Groats is just for the tourists). Just remember, Westfield tanks are small, and gas stations can be scarce and not always open on the weekend or after 7pm - if you're on a 1/4 tank and you see a station, fill up.

Never mind the east side of Scotland, you'll not have the time in just a week to take it all in - that's a whole trip on it's own, with whisky trails etc, and there's a neat car museum in Alford, out from Aberdeen too.

From Inverness, come back down through the Great Glen, on the west side of Loch Ness which although pretty you'll curse all the trucks and coaches, or on the little known east side, single track some of the way. At the top of Loch Lomond, stop or stay at the Drovers Inn (UK Pub of the Year - 1705) - other than electricity, not much has changed much since then, except lean over a bit more. The walls of the bar are black with open fire soot, and they make the best haggis and cheese baked potatoes! They say it's also haunted...woooooooo!

593d267857c6c_inverarnaninn.thumb.JPG.563d9603e81f5ec0609a5bde1d19acfe.JPG

Just remembered - on the way up from Glasgow, grab the Gourock to Dunoon ferry and do the stunning Argyle coast road then onto Fort William via Oban. Or, forget the ferry and go via the Rest-and-be-Thankful summit. We did the Argyle loop last weekend in our self-built camper for an overnight wild camp just out of Kames/Tighnabruaich. (as an aside, and a merciless plug to keep me at the top of the youtube search list, see my camper build here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SweT1DuQbqA

Have a great trip.

• Like 5

Thanks again and looks like some fantastic places to visit on the tour.

I'll work on an itinerary over the next day or so and will post it for advice ... and to find out whether it's achievable or not :-) 

@BigSkyBrad ... amazing transformation on the camper build! We went very cheap and cheerful for the Disco (mainly so we could easily take it apart and sell the vehicle as a standard spec once we finished our travels) so to see that YouTube video made me green with envy.

If wild camping be prepared to deal with the infamous midge. They are bl**** rife this year due to the early warm weather. Was up Glencoe way a few days ago and the swarms were unreal. Midge nets and Avon skin soft required. They might have calmed down a bit come August hopefully.

• Like 1

@Andy_R Cheers for the nod on  the camper. Check it out as you're passing through if you have time on your trip.

@sdh2903 I can vouch for the midgies - got well chomped on last weekend inside the camper, the little b****rs use citronella for deodorant!

• Like 1

BigSkyBrad - Amazing conversion on your camper - makes my little 4wd mitsubishi camper look very agricultural by comparison.

I could share a few really good wild camp places in Scotland though - like here South of Inversanda on loch Linhe (Bit off route for thr NC500 though).

Andy - good luck on your itinery - plenty of advice on here from Clan Westy!

Dave.

IMG_4598.JPG

• Like 1

@Davep1 Again, thanks for the nod on the camper. It was a two year build, the missus not my greatest fan being a garage widow during that time - I don't dare ask to build a Westfield! But getting lots of use out of the camper now. Whether it's on the bike, or in the camper, previous MX5's or now the Westfiled, she loves touring.

Your Delica SpaceGear, being 4WD, gives you that advantage of getting that little bit further off the tarmac. Was looking on google earth to figure out where you might have pitched up and figured a great Westfield loop...

@Andy_R et al...From Ft William, down to Inversanda on the A861, There, turn off onto the B8043 all the way down to Lochaline and catch the ferry over to Mull for a loop of the island, overnight at Tobermory. Next morning, catch the ferry over to Kilchoan, follow the road east to Salen. There, turn north onto the A861 up to the A830, to turn left out to Mallaig for lunch, then a ferry onto Skye, or return back to Ft William. Incidently, that B8043 stretch is the only bit I haven't done, and I reckon you'd be hard done by if more than a dozen cars came the other way. In fact, more than half of the above is single track, but the traffic is so minimal - just means you have to keep your wits about you on crests and corners. We did it all on the bike so if you're caught by surprise you can squeeze past someone with a prayer.

• Like 1

Andy_R - If you get on to Mull, easy wild camping at calgary bay or Gribun (see pic below) - both easily doable in a Westy and the roads are terrific.

Dave.

IMG_3802.JPG

• Like 1