Should I buy this...?

Andy Banks

I've had a Seat Toledo 2l diesel and DSG for 5 years so same drive train and it's been great.  My experience with DSG has been fine. Talk has been they are either OK or they're not.  Had one problem in that a speed sensor on the rear NS failed and the DSG lost the ability to change automatically.  £150 fix.

3 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

How about this, only £6600 and half the miles, six doors and a boot, bags of room and loads of toys, even a way to isolate the noise of the rest of the family at the push of a button! :t-up: 

If I take the wheels of the westy I'll get it in the back so no need for a trailer - job done :yes:

• Like 1

I've had my skud for almost 3 years now and it's been no trouble and a great car. Handing it back in July with 50k miles. Build is not up to BMW standards but equipment spec is great. I had a DSG before this one for 3 years and it was wonderful and trouble free. I would have had the same again but tax rules at work meant I had to go manual. Just check it goes up and down through every gear ok - try it in manual mode to and skip about the gears. 

image.jpg

The DSG gives me about 45mpg whereas the manual gave me 41ish.  The low stress factor of the DSG needs to be taken into account too IMO.

As said by the others. Changes in auto / manual and starting from rest must be clean and crisp. If not a code reader would be a good over check for codes but probably not easy.

Generally OK but some internet stories around DSG reliability.

The DSG box is complicated to work on. As an example LUK will only sell clutches for DSG equipped cars, to certain people who have had proper training as they need special skills to set up and kit.

We have had a lot of these at work and with the normal box they are great. If it was a lease car and you are not picking up the tab DSG, own money Manual. There isn't the bad jokes there was before as people who have them love them.

Well, a nice man came and took my BMW away this afternoon. So I replaced it with this...

IMG-20170609-WA0004.jpegIMG-20170609-WA0002.jpeg

• Like 5

Can you please do a picture with a 3 seater sofa in the boot? ;) 

Please keep us informed as I was looking at a Superb as replacement too...

Will let you know if I like the test drives tomorrow. 

Superb vs Octavia vRS.

9 hours ago, Andy Banks - Chairman said:

Well, a nice man came and took my BMW away this afternoon. So I replaced it with this...

IMG-20170609-WA0004.jpegIMG-20170609-WA0002.jpeg

That's a lot of metal for the money. Is it as tidy as the photo's look?

A few niggles, all now fixed. But otherwise, yes very tidy for age/miles/cost.

Even has original Sat Nav DVD, and umbrella in the door!

All nice and clean, oil a bit dark for my liking so may treat to a change and a new filter.

Next job is to get a towbar fitted...

Love my Superb. I previously had a VRs estate which I loved too but this has a much better ride and with 4x4 it is so much better at getting the power down even though its a big old bus. The only thing I detest is the DSG. It is slow and stupid at low speed and around town. It can't cope with reversing up steep slopes (like my driveway), and it always drops into too low a gear when you are braking down a hill. Aside from that the options for the price are brilliant, and it tows really well.

Luke.

Preferred the Superb to the Octavia vRS.

So now deciding on contract hire vs nearly new.

Had a few cars on contract hire and makes sense if you change cars every three years as the depreciation is more than the hire fees, but thinking I might keep the next one for five years instead, so that tips the balance towards buying a year old or ex-demo.

Need to decide now though as the new ones are 16 week order which coincides with current hire return date.