Should I buy this...?

Andy Banks

5 Series M Sport Touring lease is up and I'm no longer in a position to shell out every month. So, been on the lookout and this caught my eye.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702232603401?logcode=visc&fromSA=true&r=3.5

So, should I?

Good cars and I've had several. But mileage and dsg box would make me want to check it out very carefully.

As said DSG are great when they work but can be troublesome. Fancy a VRS Octavia estate next, but not the latest one, as that looks weird at the front. 

I have 2011 Octavia Estate ( petrol ) from new , love it , great cars & wouldn't swap  .

Not done anywhere near those miles though :t-up:

I'm test driving a Superb Estate on Saturday. 

As said though lower miles and manual would be better. DSG sounds like an expensive thing to fix!

8 hours ago, Arm said:

Good cars and I've had several. But mileage and dsg box would make me want to check it out very carefully.

Anything in particular to check?

8 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I'm test driving a Superb Estate on Saturday. 

As said though lower miles and manual would be better. DSG sounds like an expensive thing to fix!

£6 to £8k I'm told :o

Absolutely brilliant car, buy it. BUT not the DSG version. The weight of the gearbox makes the car very nose heavy and effects the drive, if you get a chance to test drive both you will notice the difference. A manual will be the best car you have ever bought. 

• Like 1

How about this, only £6600 and half the miles, six doors and a boot, bags of room and loads of toys, even a way to isolate the noise of the rest of the family at the push of a button! :t-up: 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

How about this, only £6600 and half the miles, six doors and a boot, bags of room and loads of toys, even a way to isolate the noise of the rest of the family at the push of a button! :t-up: 

If only they made a hatchback/estate version with a long load bay, perfect for transporting - stuff :getmecoat:

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Octavia VRS, or a Superb. Had mine 6 years. Prior to that had Fabia VRS for 7 years.

Prior to Skoda I hated dealers, but they've been brilliant (although now I do use a local garage just around corner for convenience and slightly better costs) 

I own a Skoda VRS estate and love it. It is my fourth Octavia estate, three from new, as I tend to change them every four to five years or so. 

Thinking of changing again I tried a Superb but I found the 18 inch wheels and 40 profile tyres don't suit the suspension set up. I tried one and it was great on a billiard table flat road but on an average road was too hash a ride, both noisy and uncomfortable.

I'm tall and slim and I find the Skodas driving position fits me just fine but my wife who is quite petite hates it.

Would I buy that one, no - too high mileage and I don't like the DSG gearbox for the reasons above.

Thanks as ever for the wise words.