Sunglasses - Your recommendations please

dhutch

As long as you have plastic lenses, as using glass lenses with an open top car is more of a risk from stone impact.I got hit on the cheek last week, which was only a couple of inches away from my eye. It left a cut and dread what it would do on a direct impact to a glass lense. Thats with a screened Westie Its a reason why sports glasses are not as funky but a safer option.

On 06/06/2017 at 22:16, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

This, as we all have slightly different shaped and sized faces :)

Couldn't agree more. I have a wide bridged nose and often struggle to find glasses that fit. Only way I've ever managed to resolve it was traipsing around shops trying them on.

• 3 months later...

I thought I would add delayed feedback to the outcome of this.

We bought a pair of the Maui Jim 'Peahi' in gloss black, which come with the 'neutral grey' lenses. Very happy with them.

They feel slightly more plastic than some of the options in the showroom, but they are light and comfortable and we both like the style.

Lens are obviously excellent, and make everything look amazing, without adding any warming tint or blue tint or anything else.

Daniel

• 10 months later...

As an update nearly a year on, I am still loving the glasses.

They have held up to almost daily use, and odd bits of abuse well. Cars been without engine, but I've had them in the tintop and walking, holidays etc. Very good.

So much so that after a minor cockup leaving me without them for a bit I've snapped up a second pair, now £144 from 'discounted sunglasses' via their eBay store. Same price on the website.

Daniel

Yes sat on my Maui Jim’s and now can only bring myself to replace them with another pair as nothing else is up to them.

Will be buying same ones as then I have spare lenses as it’s the frame I broke. 

Yep, I blame this thread for making me buy a pair of Maui Jim’s before I went to Barbados.

They’re terrific.

But I still blame you lot. :laugh:

I’m still Rayban however I did look at Maui Jim this year but my loyalties stopped me from buying. I bought a new pair of ‘bans instead. Never day never though for the future ;)

1 hour ago, a15cro said:

I’m still Rayban however I did look at Maui Jim this year but my loyalties stopped me from buying. I bought a new pair of ‘bans instead. Never day never though for the future ;)

Once you have moved over to the Maui Side young pedewan, there is no return....

• Like 1

Since I bought my Westie in April, I've just been using safety glasses, but the draught around the edges was getting annoying. So - I called into a local motorcycle shop and picked up a pair of UglyFish Glide - they are essentially three pairs of glasses - smoke, clear and yellow tint. The 'arms' simply detach and are clipped into whichever lenses you want to use. They also come with a soft foam 'gasket' to seal against the face, which eliminates draughts completely - this can be removed so that they can double up as normal sunnies. They also come with an elastic strap to replace the arms, so they can be used as goggles. They have shatter-proof lenses, so they're probably as safe as its possible to get without wearing a lid

I've worn them for the first time today on the Peak District run out and they have been ultra-comfortable - not cheap at £60, but if you consider there's three pairs, its pretty good value

glide_rs03282_bl.sm_2.jpg

glide_rs03282_bl.3pk.jpg

I may be late... but maui Jim happens to have the best lenses right now...

All the mauis fans have replied already, Good!

(Is true, I'm a ray-ban man)... but I can't drive without my mauis!

Maui Jim *glass* lenses hands down. Big difference when you get the glass ones - plastic ones good/great, glass ones stunning. Cut through all the glare, super contrast in all light and depending on the colour you want striking saturation can be had too. There are some decent after market lenses for them too... and some not so decent ones (avoid Lens+) /voe

I have a pair of Oakleys that I almost never wear.......

Why? you may ask, well they're "EyeJacket" from 1994, bought for £85 and now worth nearly £200, i'm going to look SOOO cool when I retire in 20yrs time :p