Axle Stand Recommendation

BugMan

Just starting my list of things to buy ready for my build project, and was looking for recommendations on Axle Stands?

So many to chose from, and realise I don't need then initially, but I'm building "The List" of things I need, but with so many to choose from looking for advise on height and weight etc.

Knock up a frame from sturdy wood and mount it on heavy duty castors,  it's easy to move all directions in yer garage.   You can then have it at any height you wish.

Yea, thats not a bad idea, I've got a pair of trestles already, but seen a lot of people using Axle Stands later on when it needs to be a bit lower

Depends on height in your garage. I couldn't get my engine in on build stands - limited by crane lifting capability and garage roof. I dropped it onto axle stands then put the engine in. It's much easier to build on the build stands and the chassis is more stable.

44 minutes ago, SootySport said:

Knock up a frame from sturdy wood and mount it on heavy duty castors,  it's easy to move all directions in yer garage.   You can then have it at any height you wish.

That's a good idea that :d

Posted 2 minutes ago

50 minutes ago, SootySport said:

That's a good idea that :d

•  

Yeh, wonder where I got that idea

???

Dave, show the Bugman how the stand metamorhasizes  into a crate

Ooh those picks bring back some good memories :t-up:

Miss that garage :cry:

Here you go sir

20140111_174217_zps004759ad.jpg

20140111_180240_zpsfae4ec3d.jpg

20140111_180558_zpsb9e0af69.jpg

Courier wasn't so kind

20140222_101900_zps3kfthiq6.jpg

20140222_102049_zpsq43p4kru.jpg

I'll stop clogging up this thread now

I started on build stands then switched over to axle stands once hardlines and interior panelling was done.

I used the cheaper Halfords axle stands which were I think a tenner per pair.

They can do 30-40 cm, so I'll be able to get the car down with a trolley jack (hopefully).

These are the ones:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=318453&productId=898889&storeId=10001

Here you can see the rough height - I can slide under the car and work comfortably like this. Would definitely use build stands for the initial, upside down chassis phase though.

HBz1WKc.jpg

I did my initial build on build stands then switched to axle stands later in the process, and I use the axle stands still. I'd got a couple of stands already when I started the build so needed to get a couple of additional stands, in the end I got a couple of eBay. I got a couple of the ratchet type. I have since got a couple more ratchet type. I find the ratchet type useful  because when I lift or lower the Westi on stands I tend to do it in stages and that type is easier to lift an lower than the pin type. 

The recent ones I purchase were from SGS Engineering and I got them as part of a low entry jack and stands pack. Theses stands also have locking pins when makes them slightly safer to use.

re the build I think I dropped if off build stands at the point I was about to put the engine in.