Westfield hard top

Weekend Warrior

That picture does the rounds from time to time  

Never seen one in the flesh though, maybe there's a message in there somewhere. 

Like a boomerang, that one comes around and gets asked about from time to time.  I think they only produced a few, maybe 4-5 before quietly dropping it.  The big problems were fogging up because of the lack of cabin air exchange, and that it was nearly impossible to retrofit because the windscreen installation had to be millimetre perfect.  Price was also an issue, fairly steep.  Saw one on eBay a couple of years ago that was unfinished, no idea if it sold.

It came with a broom stick to hold the door open as well :ghostface:

• Like 1

Did they can it as they couldn't get it to fit around the dodgy body joins perhaps!!

It was double skinned, and quite a complex moulding, even back then it was expensive. The problem is, unless you built the car with it to hand, you hadn't got much hope of it fitting properly; there is just too much variation in the fit of the tub to a Westfields chassis, it's the part that people use to line up the things that don't twist easily like the nose and scuttle. As a result, none arm much perfect, compared to each other. With the soft tops, that doesn't matter, the vinyl just gets pulled and stretched to suit.

With a rigid hard top, the only way to do it, is to line the tub and the windscreen up to the hardtop before either are fixed in place, do-able, but not so easy as a retrofit.

16 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

Did they can it as they couldn't get it to fit around the dodgy body joins perhaps!!

@ 1600 pounds per unit circa 20 years ago I think demand outstripped supply!

• 4 years later...

Just finished mine it's a bit rough round the edges but for £80 quid ish in materials I'm happy.

Hopefully it won't take flight on its first trip 🤣🤣🤣🤣IMG_20220416_183838489.thumb.jpg.cc2c3c72db6ce4b6c164a3e2854a4358.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Pco said:

Just finished mine it's a bit rough round the edges but for £80 quid ish in materials I'm happy.

Hopefully it won't take flight on its first trip 🤣🤣🤣🤣IMG_20220416_183838489.thumb.jpg.cc2c3c72db6ce4b6c164a3e2854a4358.jpg

Details please...... 

57 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Details please...... 

What sort. I knocked up a frame of my roll bar and windscreen made from wood at almost the right angles. Covered it in 3mm ply and did the bendy bits in cardboard then covered it in cheap duct tape. 

Lathered that in furniture polish then laid up a thin shee of fibre glass on the mold. Offered that up to the car to make sure it fitted then tried it to size, laid the top on the angle of the windscreen and put a lip on the back to slot over the roll bar.

Not bad for someone whose never made anything from fibre glass before IMG_20220325_201620936.thumb.jpg.2c81ef2bc514af26c86aa08719d4652a.jpgIMG_20220404_191628055_HDR.thumb.jpg.7a096d7a99b6d34049dc091500211a96.jpgIMG-20220402-WA0016.thumb.jpeg.2692bdad498bc94978c7fa2343fdb6d7.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1