London again I'm afraid...

John K

Thoughts and condolences are with all of those caught up in in the latest incident in London.

It's with a heavy heart I suspect these things are rapidly becoming a way of life.

2 things do spring to mind...

I wish the media would stop saying "6 people lost their lives", 3 people lost their lives, 3 others were just evil and copped what they deserved. IMHO do not group them to together

And 8 minutes to end it - good and its obvious the orders are out to end it as soon as. Sends a powerful message, but not sure others will be open to hearing it.

Why can't we just live and let live, the world is a big enough place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pacifist, I am happy to live without a single 'ism' until somebody crosses a line, then in my view, they are fair game and should experience all they have coming to them.

Speedy recovery to all those who are able to recover... :( 

• Like 3

Hats off to the police and emergency services 8 minutes to shutdown a terrible and terrifying situation total respect  . Being a regular visitor to London and to the locations attacked last night I will be back, life will continue, keep calm and carry on .  

• Like 1

There's already a move to postpone the general election on the chattersphere. This would be admitting defeat IMHO, and life should carry on unchanged. In fact I deplore the 24 hour emotional feeding frenzy that the broadcast media churn out. Please don't think I am callous, I am certainly not and I have nothing but sympathy for the victims, but the bigger thing you make of it, the more hand rubbing glee is aroused in these evil people. Report it factually and that's it.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Please don't think I am callous, I am certainly not and I have nothing but sympathy for the victims, but the bigger thing you make of it, the more hand rubbing glee is aroused in these evil people.

Agreed 100%

19 minutes ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

There's already a move to postpone the general election on the chattersphere

1, We absolutely shouldn't. That would be giving in to exactly what these freaks want

2, I don't think we couldn't even if we wanted too. I'm not a constitutional expert, but wasn't the election called by an act of parliament. And didn't the act of parliament calling for the election also 'dissolve parliament'? I'm sure an 'act of parliament' would be needed to suspend / change the date of the election, but we don't currently have a parliament, so it seems we are in a bizarre Catch 22 (well that's my understanding)

• Like 1

Agree totally with my learned two colleagues. why for hell's sake keep feeding them the amount of media coverage and hand wringing they crave. And no, don't change* or move a single damned thing because of them.

*not changing anything, doesn't of course mean not having snipers and spotters in place, nor armed snatch squads ready on the ground at appropriate events.

Theres only one thing that needs to be reported ad nauseum: you see police/military and you obey instructions immediately. You run you die, simple as that.

Sorry for getting angry at a fairly grim time but the BBC have just done it again...

Jane Hill just said - "People have been bringing flowers to commemorate the SEVEN people who died"

I'm fairly sure it's to commemorate the FOUR innocent souls who were the victims. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John K said:

Sorry for getting angry at a fairly grim time but the BBC have just done it again...

Jane Hill just said - "People have been bringing flowers to commemorate the SEVEN people who died"

I'm fairly sure it's to commemorate the FOUR innocent souls who were the victims. 

I'm not certain, but I believe the total dead was ten: seven innocents and three terrorists. It was hard to find out for sure and my only source is the Mail. 

See here

My daughter had to be at Greenwich today to finish her graduation exhibtion piece. 

I couldn't see her take the train, so drove her there (and will pick her up tonight).

It was heartening to drive within 4 miles of this terrible incident and see a throng of locals and tourists going about their business in the sunshine as normal.

Proof, if needed, that these deluded few will never change the way we live.

After the Westminster Bridge terrorist car atrocity, mowing down pedestrians, I noted that there is no safety fencing to protect those on the pavement and it sounds like London Bridge is the same. In a city as rich as London this installation can't come soon enough. On a bridge your escape options are limited as there are no doorways to leap into.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40147813  reports 1500 injured in Turin when firecracker causes panic and stampede.

The public in all countries do not want to accept that terrorism is the new normal but the Turin incident clearly shows people are on edge and fearing the worst.

We should not put catch fencing or bollards on Londons bridges - it will solve nothing, they will simply target other places.

We cannot ban vehicles or the sale of knives, this kind of incident is totally impossible to stop - its an irrational and hateful act that will sadly happen again.

The scum who committed these acts should have no Muslim funeral, bodies not returned to families, just disposed of in the cheapest way possible

I do believe the PC brigade need to stamped down on and these evil losers should be stamped down on. 

If these losers were non UK nationals and they have family and associates who do not hold UK passports they should be deported - no right of appeal - GONE

The 23,000 people with extreme views known about by the Security Services - those who do not hold a UK passport - deport them. Those who do hold a UK passport should be brought in and told - "Respect our culture, respect our freedoms or exercise your right to leave and live in a country whose way of life you do support"

These people are irrational and do not give a damn about the rights of the people they attack, maim and kill - they therefore lose any rights that they once held

I have friends and colleagues who are Muslim, Jewish, Catholic etc, we all get on well but we all respect each others beliefs and do not seek to impose our beliefs on each other

Time to get tough in this country I'm afraid

• Like 2

A bit too close for comfort this one.  I know the area well as I worked near HMS Belfast for years, and my son missed it by about 3 minutes whilst walking to Waterloo.  We were both at Paddington on 7/7 when they hit the next station.

What did they achieve.  We now think there are even more loonies around. They do seem a bit too keen to meet their maker. 

The Police and Ambulance did a superb job. 

40 minutes ago, andy665 said:

We should not put catch fencing or bollards on Londons bridges - it will solve nothing, they will simply target other places.

We cannot ban vehicles or the sale of knives, this kind of incident is totally impossible to stop - its an irrational and hateful act that will sadly happen again.

The scum who committed these acts should have no Muslim funeral, bodies not returned to families, just disposed of in the cheapest way possible

I do believe the PC brigade need to stamped down on and these evil losers should be stamped down on. 

If these losers were non UK nationals and they have family and associates who do not hold UK passports they should be deported - no right of appeal - GONE

The 23,000 people with extreme views known about by the Security Services - those who do not hold a UK passport - deport them. Those who do hold a UK passport should be brought in and told - "Respect our culture, respect our freedoms or exercise your right to leave and live in a country whose way of life you do support"

These people are irrational and do not give a damn about the rights of the people they attack, maim and kill - they therefore lose any rights that they once held

I have friends and colleagues who are Muslim, Jewish, Catholic etc, we all get on well but we all respect each others beliefs and do not seek to impose our beliefs on each other

Time to get tough in this country I'm afraid

The safety fencing would also protect the public from driver accidents through carelessness and those who crash after a medical event; say a heart attack.

While your views about getting tough might sound good there is no way the Human Rights lawyers would allow it; even when a judge tells a convict he will be deported after completing a sentence it very rarely happens.

1 hour ago, dpeffers said:

The safety fencing would also protect the public from driver accidents through carelessness and those who crash after a medical event; say a heart attack

While your views about getting tough might sound good there is no way the Human Rights lawyers would allow it; even when a judge tells a convict he will be deported after completing a sentence it very rarely happens.

Fair point but therefore should be on all bridges.

In terms of the Human Rights lawyers - Im a strong believer in protecting decent, fair and rational people - commit a serious crime or be complicit in it snd you should lose your rights. We as a nation spend more time and money protecting the guilty or complicit than we do the innocent / victims - time for a change

38 minutes ago, andy665 said:

time for a change

Hear hear. And youve got pillocks like Corbyn saying he doesnt agree with the shoot to kill policy???. Best to ask them to stop being naughty and put the knives down and play nice.

Hope the prime minister sticks by her words. Enough is enough.

• Like 2

These people are beyond rational thought. Asking them to have a chat , isn't going to make a jot of difference. They are  hell bent ( good words) on their supposed martyrdom and have no other thought in their heads. Shoot to kill , as done last night is quick and cures the evil on the spot.It may give them their martyrdom, but it means we dont have the scum in our system to feed and water for the rest of their days.  It will be interesting on who they were and also if they were known to the police. This has to stop and hopefully , although not at all easy to do, they will be infiltrated and terminated.

I want to vote this week and will be voting. it is my way of showing unity with the whole of the UK in showing my hatred to people who dont believe in our way of life and freedom we have. 

I am watching the Manchester event tonight and seeing people singing along and enjoying the evening just shows how united the country is. 

• Like 2