Cordless Electric Screwdrivers

stephenh

I'm thinking of buying a cordless electric screwdriver. I've got a cheap cordless drill/screwdriver, but it isn't very powerful and it runs out of charge very quickly.

I am thinking of buying an electric screwdriver to replace it. I don't really need the cordless drill facility, whilst it would be nice, in reality I rarely need it, and with extention leads etc., it is a bit superfluous. however I do have a bit of arthritis in my hands, so an electric screwdriver is a boon.

Does anyone have experience of the Bosch IXO V screwdriver? It is single speed, and very compact, and RS Components (with whom I have an account) have it on offer at £41.16 including vat, which sounds a bargain to me. There is a 2 speed version, but it is twice the price. I do like my Makita professional drill, but their cordless screwdriver is screwdriver and drill combined and it is 3 times the price, which for the bit of DIY I do is probably not justified.

Informed comments/advice invited!:) 

I remember a few years ago my Dad getting a cordless screw driver, really powerful bit of kit actually. That was a bosch and although doesn't get as much use now, is still going strong.

I think in reality, for the DIY'er as long as you go for a decent make, you should be alright. It's always going to be the batteries that let go first, lithium is a must.

I personally love the Bosch stuff, I bought a drill and impact drill set a few months ago and I'm amazed at the life they have between charges. It's a safe bet and at that price I'd be going for it if I was in your shoes.

I'd agree with Bosch, or more expensive kit.  They do drill quite well, but if you want power, its either very expensive or mains

I have an Ixo which has been in use for about 8 or 9 years now, and still going strong. Only got the single speed basic version, but I can't fault it for reliability. Has its own charging dock which is really handy too. 

For home use I think Bosch are unbeatable. 

My makita driver and drill / driver combi set is still going strong after 10 years with a fair amount of use (lots of DIY / timber garage build / westie / etc). Did have to get a couple of extra batteries last year as 2 of the 3 didn't hold charge anymore. Just got some Chinese copies on ebay which work great.

Personally, when I need another set, it'll be Makita for me :)

• Like 2

The old Makita blue range was renowned for being bulletproof when I was in the engineering industry. Never tried the Makita green range though, which was aimed more the home market, but if it was a fraction as reliable as the industrial equipment then it would be good. 

I've got a compact Makita combo pack that came with a cordless drill and a matching impact driver, must admit, I've been very impressed by the impact driver, it might be tiny, but seems to pack a huge amount of screwdriver power in, for its size.

Likewise, by the way, all my Bosch Pro power tools are still going strong, twenty years in, with the exception of my old SDS drill, which did break, but then that used to get way more abuse than it should :blush: I learnt my lesson though, and replaced it with one that had a chuck stop/chisel action, and never had another issue!

18 hours ago, stephenh said:

Informed comments/advice invited!:) 

I would say it depends very much on the type of work you want to do with it.

And I understand why you would want one because of the Arthritis, my MS means I have no stamina so I use power tools all the time.

IMHO the problem with screws / bolts is you need the strength to get them turning. And that needs torque.

The IXO has 3 / 4.5 nm of twist

A proper drill/driver like the GSB 18-2-LI PLUS 18V 4.0AH  has Torque, max. (hard/soft): 63 / 24Nm (I've got one BTW)

So when you and I might need the extra grunt to get it moving, I'm wondering if the IXO would be beefy enough. If you can do the initial work by hand and then just need something to do the 'easy' but repetitive stuff, the IXO would probably do.

And how much 'screwing' do you expect to do in each session. I am frankly amazed at how long the 4aH LIon pack lasts

Also the IXO doesn't have a replaceable battery (that I can see) so you are limited to the life of the battery, not the life of the tool.

I understand you are looking for best twist / £ but if you spend £40 on the IXO instead of £90 on a decent (for example) Bosch Blue or its equivalent, I'm wondering if you will get a lot less than 50% performance for the 50% less price. Looking at the torque comparisons 2x the cash gets you a least 6x the twist.

Just playing devil's advocate... 

31 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Yep, that's the set I mentioned earlier. Get really good life from the batteries, and the actual drilling and driving power belies the numbers! 

• Like 1

You guys are all for getting me to spend more money, aren't you?:laugh:

I am starting to get a bit tempted. I'll maybe pop down to my friends at TFD, who sell these things, and have a look. I have to admit, I am delighted with my Makita mains drill, they do seem to make quality kit.

1 hour ago, stephenh said:

Makita mains drill, they do seem to make quality kit

Nooooooo......

Go Bosch Blue... The Xflow of power tools...! 30 years and still going strong....

Sorry, John; went to my friends at TFD in Uttoxeter this morning. They are dealers in both Bosch and Makita. Ended up spending much more money than I first had in mind. Bought a combi set, ie 2 drivers, one is a drill/screwdriver/hammer driver, and the other is an impact driver (so I can now change wheels on an F1 car!!), all in a box, with 2 battery packs and a charger.

I went for the Makita rather than the Bosch simply on feel and looks, coupled with my experience of the mains drill which I purchased early in my XI build programme.

The chap I spoke to at TFD assured me there was nothing to choose between them so far as he was concerned, and the prices were, on a like for like basis, similar.

So now I''m about £125 poorer than I thought I was going to be, all because of you chaps urging me to spend more than I had in  mind!:d

• Like 4