Mr Grumpy - Can they rebuild him..?

John K

Thanks ThrustyJust,

I wish it was as simple as the big ticket items I identified... And thanks for your offer of support.

There's quite a long list of other stuff, new front wheel studs (to be honest taking 2 days to change the rears was the final nail in the coffin of my attempts to fix him), lower temp thermostat, remount the dashboard, hopefully swap the light for halogens on a relay, new seats (I still have to order), get the new MoT legal stick on front plate, properly fix up the loom repair I did and get him through the MoT

And since they two guys have had him, they've already identified all the fuel hose are perished (oh that lovely ethanol eh?), Oh and top up the rear diff, I left him on stands tilted forward for so long the oil dripped out the bleed hole.

And the banter is all part of the club, we are a very broad church and for all the crap the xflow dinosaurs give you next gen Playstation engined wonder boys, we are still secretly impressed by the magic that goes on in modern engines. If we all drove identikit cars, where would the fun be.

I'm really looking to hear him rumble, pop and fart again - not so sure the neighbors are..!

Although did any of you clock the yellow 5.0 Stang in the background? It's got a Roush exhaust on it and when it starts in the mornings I run about the house clutching my bits...

• Like 3

I missed that first time round! And it's yellow! How could I miss that? I would love to hear that fire up early in the morning...

Good luck with the work on Mr Grumpy. Hope he's back on the road soon with all this nice weather we're having! 

Hold on a minute. Grizzlee said it was just a gearbox change.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bollockybill said:

No backsies. :d 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bollockybill said:

Erm not quite, you're keeping the gearbox and changing the rest of the car...

• Like 1

On 03/06/2017 at 21:15, John K said:

Erm not quite, you're keeping the gearbox and changing the rest of the car...

Probably the best idea. On hold at the moment, Grizzlee and me are north of the border in heavy country next week.

☺️

Grizzlee,

Do you think we should tell John that Mr Grumpy won't be ready this week. I know we promised but unfortunately our trip to Scotland just turned up out of the blue.

:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not long now, John.

IMG_0562.JPG

10 hours ago, bollockybill said:

Not long now, John

I can see a problem... Those bits all look a bit new.

Can you shot blast them, leave them in cow dung for a month and then fit them..?

Got to maintain the patina 

On 23/06/2017 at 19:42, Thrustyjust said:

Is that all that was salvageable from the car ?:d

No, we also have the nut that holds the steering wheel. He's called John.

• Like 4

Update from Grizlee... He farts again..! (Mr Grumpy, not Graham btw)

Mr Grumpy started up yesterday for the first time in who knows how long.

Was a bit of a faff to get going as the seats in the fuel pump had dried out. Had to manually prime it

And the new bouncy bits have been fitted, is it just me or are they too new and shiny..?

too new.jpg

3 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Great , its alive, but a can of this will make it look nice and shiny on the wishbones to match the shocks.

5951786dcc315_por15.jpg.3e713950de8a29c295238ede463414ec.jpg

I know but... And I know this is a bit like coming out... And I expect to be banned, possibly burned at the stake, but...

I am a Rat Rod kinda guy... I could seriously own a Rolls Ghost Black edition and it would look like a midden

I just don't do cleaning cars - sure look after the oily bits, but as for cleaning them... Even the supposedly new Fister has got a House Martins nest under the rear spoiler - sorry  :down: :getmecoat: