Mr Grumpy - Can they rebuild him..?

John K

After two long years of kidding myself that I was ever going to be able to get him back on the road myself, I faced reality and called Grizlee and had the following conversation...

"Whose fault is it that I have a 75% road worthy Westie in the garage, OK I accept the fact he's in a terrible state is my fault, but whose fault is it I even have a Westie..? The answer is, its yours. So like it or not it is your duty as a decent human being to help me sort this out..."

Grizlee was a little bit taken aback, not by the responsibility but by the fact he'd been called a "decent human being", I don't think he'd ever heard those words before.

"Let me get back to you" he said.

A few days later it turns out that BollockyBill was now an accomplice and they would do the spannering I wasn't able to do any more. And if I could get Mr Grumpy up to them, they would fix him up.

Apart from the fact we now have evidence of there being two certifiable lunatics in the North West, operation 'Find a Trailer' sprung into action.

A few phone calls to mates who knew mates who knew people and two spiffing lads turned up with the most offroady Disco I've ever seen and a trailer to take Mr Grumpy away for fettling.

So after pushing him onto the trailer, something the chaps said they had never seen done before - All the cars they normally move tend to weigh more than a packet of potatoes - he was strapped down. The boxes of bits (including a gearbox) was thrown into the Disco he and taken away to be cared for.

Ee0SxQbOqHGeThgkxaaKsAaM5ebiBCZaMV2kPxSk

eevOPx0Tbb6YXEiV17XSaOo93WqwYHIAgAp1Z6pV

I'll update this thread now and again with news on his recovery.

So a massive thanks to Grizlee and BollockyBill for helping me out and it goes to prove "It's not what you know, but who you know"

Their help is so typical of the members on this forum... :t-up:

• Like 8

Main tasks will be...

Swap the gear box (currently no syncro on 2nd)

New springs and shocks (more road compliant)

Fit Electronic Ignition

Fix anything as they find it (which will be quite an extensive list)

• Like 1

They've made a good start already, solved a big problem by removing the massive nut behind the wheel. :d 

Best of luck to all involved, it really is a testtiment to the amazing nature of the club and its members.  I'm sure Mr Grumpy will be back to fitness before you know it. :t-up: 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

it really is a testtiment to the amazing nature of the club and its members

Agreed... But if he comes back with a DERV engine in him - you do know we will be having words...

2 minutes ago, John K said:

Agreed... But if he comes back with a DERV engine in him - you do know we will be having words...

You'll have to catch the Injected Wench first, so you'd better pray that diesel is sporty. :d 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Diesels and xflows both smoke the same and rattle, so you may not even notice :getmecoat:

That Sir was genius, the beer spat out all over my keyboard is evidence of that. But my engine is supposed to behave like that - it's called character. It's engineered in. DERVs can't help it

34 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

so you'd better pray that diesel is sporty

Considering I named my car after you - that was uncalled for...

• Like 1

Guy's Guy's 

I think Mr Thrustjust is being very unfair, rattle and smoke they may but they have a character all of there own. :p unlike the rev and go Japanese effort's :rolleyes:

I am just happy to see this great club of ours doing what we are now renowned for helping each other.

I for one can't wait to hear the good news that Mr Grumpy makes a full recovery and appears at Silverstone 

All the best with the course of treatment.........................

So Mr Grumpy is getting a makeover :yes:     Some nice mates you have up there.

18 hours ago, SootySport said:

So Mr Grumpy is getting a makeover :yes:     Some nice mates you have up there.

We don't like him really, we just couldn't see a nice Westfield going to waste :p

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Grizzlee said:

We don't like him really, we just couldn't see a nice Westfield going to waste :p

If he was as keen to take my work calls as he was to take my Westie - the bl**** company might have made some money this year..!

Can you take the spare wheel off?  I can do with having an extra one in the garage, and you can drop it off on the way back to John's home. :d 

35 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You going to come along to a Cotswold meet when you get him back?

Definitely, and the North Oxon crowd as well..!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ray The Brake said:

I think Mr Thrustjust is being very unfair, rattle and smoke they may but they have a character all of there own. :p unlike the rev and go Japanese effort's :rolleyes:

All the best with the course of treatment.........................

Talking of treatments. I know my whizzy jap car wont last as long as the xflow cars , as we dont have the built in feature of the oil mist treatments for the chassis and panels. So, I may have to get some old 20/50 and lob it everywhere underneath, the garage floor, the bodywork and me, to help preserve my car than corrode . :d

Regardless of the banter, will be good to see the old beast fire into life again. If I knew it just needed the bits listed ( so far !) I would have loved to whip a xflow out and change a box in a morning and get it running again. Good luck guys with get it singing !!

• Like 2