Sport 250 Ordered

BugMan

So on Friday I finally had everything lines up at home with the “Finical controller” to be able to place my order for the Sport 250, made the call and placed my deposit with Simon from Westfield.

Was one of the scary moments, committing to this after all the planning over the last 3 months, and all the reading of posts on here, as well as the great support from the local WSCC team run by Robin at the last breakfast meeting at the Red Kite pub.  A big thanks to all the guys at breakfast for helping me check in my head what options were the logical choice.

Target for the car is really focused on road use, at least to start with, but I really didn’t want to not pick something I later on very much wanted, so the only think that was up for debate was front/rear anti-roll bars, which I think could be fit later on if ever needed.

On the options list I have selected: -

1. Powder coated frame - want it to last after all (Standard)
  2. Limited slip Diff - seems like a good choice (Yes)
  3. Wide Track wishbones - better of grip I assume (Yes)
  4. Upgraded to Westfield Race front and Rear callipers - it must stop best it can (Yes)
  5. Upgrade to 205 width T1R tyres
  6. Upgrade to 8" rear - lot of debate but think the expense worth it (Yes and looks great)
  7. Digital Dash - take you comment on being better with modern engines (Yes)
  8. Heater kit - wife would kill me and needed with screen for test etc. (Yes)
  9. Upgraded FW rear diffuser (Yes)
  10. Upgrade to FW rear body (Yes)
  11. Carbon effect stone guards (Yes)
  12. Sport turbo seats (Yes)
  13. Hood and side screen kit for FW Sport 250 body (Yes)

The comments in brackets are from Simon to see if these were the better, more common choices.

Simon has told me I’m chassis number 24, so this will hopefully be my new lucky number.

Now just have to sit and wait for 12 weeks before its ready for pickup, along with 2 more stage payments.

Have to say I think I came away with a pretty good deal, so thanks to Westfield and Simon for sticking with me during negotiations back and forth.

So next I need to assemble a few odd tools from my Ex father-in law, and some bits from Amazon.

Planning to do a build log, is this just posted as a new thread as I can’t see any specific place for it?

14 weeks is going to go so very slow

westfield-sportscars-sport-250-2.jpg

• Like 7

Congratulations:yes:

Looks a sensible option list. The only thing id be wary of is your tyre choice. Just as a point of reference today on a warm day with fully warmed up sticky r888r, when on a blat a couple of occasions I managed to spin up the rears on corner exit in 3rd. The car has silly amount of torque and needs sticky tyres.

T1Rs dont tend to work particularly well on lightweight cars.

Congratulations and I can't wait to see such an amazing vehicle when it's all finished!

Really do consider getting better tyres, Toyo R1R's for instance - you may need to get them elsewhere, but in my personnel view T1R's just aren't suitable for these big power cars!

Agree with the roll bars, if you find you want them, add them later and get Playskool, Siltech etc. most find factory bars just too stiff on road cars. (There is a reason they are how they are, but it dates back to being needed a certain way for the track).

Agree with dave. R1rs are a belting all round tyre for a 7. I only got the r888r as they were on a special deal. But for primary road use and the possibility of getting caught out in the rain id prefer to be on r1r.

Sounds great and can only echo the tyre choice comments. The new r888r tyre is suppose to be better in wet than old one with loads of grip but, R1R also seems to be a popular choice (it's what I have).

Build thread is just a new topic in Tech Talk.

Another vote for swapping t1rs.  I just changed mine to r1rs...much better

9 hours ago, BugMan said:

So on Friday I finally had everything lines up at home with the “Finical controller” to be able to place my order for the Sport 250, made the call and placed my deposit with Simon from Westfield.

Was one of the scary moments, committing to this after all the planning over the last 3 months, and all the reading of posts on here, as well as the great support from the local WSCC team run by Robin at the last breakfast meeting at the Red Kite pub.  A big thanks to all the guys at breakfast for helping me check in my head what options were the logical choice.

Target for the car is really focused on road use, at least to start with, but I really didn’t want to not pick something I later on very much wanted, so the only think that was up for debate was front/rear anti-roll bars, which I think could be fit later on if ever needed.

On the options list I have selected: -

1. Powder coated frame - want it to last after all (Standard)
  2. Limited slip Diff - seems like a good choice (Yes)
  3. Wide Track wishbones - better of grip I assume (Yes)
  4. Upgraded to Westfield Race front and Rear callipers - it must stop best it can (Yes)
  5. Upgrade to 205 width T1R tyres
  6. Upgrade to 8" rear - lot of debate but think the expense worth it (Yes and looks great)
  7. Digital Dash - take you comment on being better with modern engines (Yes)
  8. Heater kit - wife would kill me and needed with screen for test etc. (Yes)
  9. Upgraded FW rear diffuser (Yes)
  10. Upgrade to FW rear body (Yes)
  11. Carbon effect stone guards (Yes)
  12. Sport turbo seats (Yes)
  13. Hood and side screen kit for FW Sport 250 body (Yes)

The comments in brackets are from Simon to see if these were the better, more common choices.

Simon has told me I’m chassis number 24, so this will hopefully be my new lucky number.

Now just have to sit and wait for 12 weeks before its ready for pickup, along with 2 more stage payments.

Have to say I think I came away with a pretty good deal, so thanks to Westfield and Simon for sticking with me during negotiations back and forth.

So next I need to assemble a few odd tools from my Ex father-in law, and some bits from Amazon.

Planning to do a build log, is this just posted as a new thread as I can’t see any specific place for it?

14 weeks is going to go so very slow

westfield-sportscars-sport-250-2.jpg

My old car :)

Congratulations, welcome to the 250 arm of this club!

Sounds like you've settled for the same spec. as me. Don't forget, you can never have to many photos, particularly when you're at the factory.

Enjoy your prep/contemplation time, just go out in the garage every day and spend hours in there, it will get the "financial controller" used to living with a Westfield builder!!

THAT is a very good bit of advice m8 in the visit to the workshop on a regular basis.

I take on everything people have said on the choice of boot's, and will be saving that for a potential upgrade once it's on the road, but my thoughts were considering the financial outlay to some degree with not wishing to upset the finance department at this point in time.

On the build thread question, do I just start a new thread here, although I've still got a lot of clearing of the man cave to do?

Great choice of Kit & the options Bugman.     Change the tyre choice now, changing them later will be a lot more cost wise.

Diffusers and stone guards can be fitted anytime. The diffuser is 100% cosmetic. The digital dash is nice to have, but gives nothing vital analogue dials won't...

The brake combo you've selected will have almost zero extra advantage on T1R's. Tyres will make far more of a difference than widetrack, for example.

Sorry, don't want to harp on, but it's as much for your safety as fast road fun that I brought the tyres up. It's really hard to get your head round how brutal the bigger horsepower Westfields are on the road, and the Sport Turbo is a different league again, with its extra torque.

I really do understand the need to keep the spend under control, we've all done it :blush:  I know I'm just as bad :d but if this was a house, you'd be talking about building a luxury mansion on the ropy old foundations of a bungalow. They're just not up to it.

The thing with doing anything as a temporary measure, is it has a habit of lasting longer than originally planned... :d

At the very least, cancel the tyre order for the moment and tell them you'll choose nearer the time, then you're not paying for something unnecessarily. - one of the other things that shows how "bad" the tyres are on Westfields is that people seem to find them near impossible to wear down, they're so hard.

(I promise, not to bring the subject up again, unless specifically asked ;) )

R1r In 205 50 15 are roughly 30 quid a corner dearer than T1r. Not a massive expense in the midst of a 30k kit? As above ditch the diffuser for now if you need to balance the books.

At the end of the day this is a bl**** fast car and it's only the 4 little patches of rubber keeping you on the tarmac. Don't skimp on the important bits.

As above I've said my bit and will wind my neck in! 

Look forward to seeing your build thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BugMan said:

On the build thread question, do I just start a new thread here, although I've still got a lot of clearing of the man cave to do?

Yup!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

find them near impossible to wear down

yep.