Lightweight flywheel question

Scotty72

Hi fellow members 

I am contemplating fitting a lightweight flywheel on my 2.0 Zetec but before i take the plunge would like to know....

Does it really make that much difference?

Thanks in advance

Scott

Yes i changed last year. The engine  revs much more freely.  Tickover is still ok at 1000rpm. I'm not sure it makes acceleration noticeably better.

You just need to be  a bit careful  pulling off you can staff the engine more easily.

I'm in Derby.  Happy to meet up if you want the try or hear an engine with it fitted 

I have a zetec with a lightened flywheel made by ttv.

Engine revs quicker for sure, I think its all about the rate of response to your right foot, it responds quicker. The only time I notice it, and some may see it as a negative, is if you try and cruise down from speed say into a 30mph village and you leave it in a high gear and it will shunt reminding you to change down! Bonus is your then always in a gear ready to shoot off again.

I wouldn't mind trying one a little lighter!

One thing I did notice is many lightened flywheels are made to then take a pinto clutch which is smaller diameter!

I bought mine expressly saying I wanted to use the zetec clutch and they sent me one which suits the pinto when questioned them ,I was told you can fit the 1.8 clutch, I pointed out that was pointless as I still needed a new clutch, I was trying to use my 2.0 clutch which was never going to fit. Before any one says you should fit a new clutch with the flywheel my 2.0 one had done 300 miles!

I by passed the supplier and spoke direct to ttv who were brilliant, they offered to make me one to my spec for the same price as the off the shelf unit! They said send us your standard flywheel and zetec clutch and they would make it, unfortunately I needed the car on the road that week so thanked them and carried on. But top marks to ttv.

When using a beefed up pinto clutch to cover me for future power upgrades I found the clutch assembly was half a kilo heavier than the standard 2.0 zetec clutch worth thinking about if going that route.

Also near to you ish, about a mile off M1 junction 22.......:d

Is the 'pinto clutch' you talk about the 215mm one?  Rather than the 220mm zetec unit? I didn't know the 2l clutch was different to the 1.8?

Edit. Apparently the clutch from a 1993-96  1,8  Mondeo is the one to go with, and not the same as the 2.0l

Still have no idea what size a 'pinto clutch' is.

Daniel

I don't remember the exact sizes but the 2.0 zetec clutch runs in a recess in the flywheel thus the cover bolts to a raised edge which is the issue. All the lightened flywheels I have seen have all been a flush finish! 

Will try and find my photos

Standard 2.0 zetec

TTV racing flywheel

(both flywheels are same diameter but they look different in the pics)

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3680.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3685.JPG

I have a 2L Zetec with a lightened flywheel  and revs a lot quicker. Got mine from Raceline, they lighten the original flywheel so clutch and everything fits,just bolt off bolt on. I use it on the road and ticks over nicely at 1000 revs. Very pleased.

The ttv flywheel is 3.8 kilo

Racelines customers own lighted flywheel is 5.5 kilo without the ring gear. When I spoke to them a couple of years ago they said you cant go to far with the standard flywheel as you wouldn't want it breaking whilst spinning next to your feet..:oops:

I wouldn't remove the engine and gearbox to swop a flywheel on its own, I changed it as I was putting in a close ratio type nine, went together beautifully.

Here's a picture from my 1997 build diary (Zetec 2L).  My notes at the time said "The lightened flywheel is recessed in between clutch mounting points and skimmed on the opposite face. Weight reduced about 6 pounds from the original 22 pounds or so.  New crankshaft sensor, dowels, engine mounts and dipstick (to suit the impending short sump) have been fitted. The MT75 box can now be bolted on. Engine mounts are Westfield, all other new bits are Dunnell."

eng_ctch.gif

Thanks for the input guys

I don't think I will make this mod just yet don't fancy going to all that effort for little or no gain in acceleration.

On 2017-5-20 at 21:41, Snappy said:

I don't remember the exact sizes but the 2.0 zetec clutch runs in a recess in the flywheel thus the cover bolts to a raised edge which is the issue. All the lightened flywheels I have seen have all been a flush finish! 

On 2017-5-20 at 21:35, Snappy said:

Ahh, how big is the lip?

Maybe that is why my cover plate, 215 on a flatface cvh flywheel, is spaced out on washers!

Daniel

• Like 1